28. Last Forever

Rose:

"You ready, baby? Are you sure about this?" Maddox asks for the hundredth time as Tyler kills the engine and steps out of the car. He's still worried even after I've been contantly assuring him I'm okay for the past two hours.

I roll my eyes. "Stop worrying. I told you I'm fine."

"Did you just roll your eyes at me, Angel?" He asks with a low, dangerous voice that has my heart racing instantly. My eyes quickly find his, and I notice how darker the blue irises I love are.

"Did I?" I swallow.

He leans over and whispers in my ear. "Guess I need to bend you over my knee after all."

I clear my throat, my blush evident on my face as I bite my lip to stop my smile from breaking out. "Let's go, yeah?"

He chuckles and we get out of the car.

I watch Eddie parking behind us and breathe in relief. I understand that no one here would purposely harm me, but I can't deny that my heart feels at ease as I watch my parents walk over to me with soft smiles.

"Ella, can I have a word, please?" Eddie asks and I nod my head. I give Maddox a quick smile before tangling my arm with Eddie's.

We walk a few feet away, and I ask. "Is something wrong?"

He sighs, facing me. "Are you sure you want to do this? My sweet girl, I don't want you to feel pressured. I can decline their invitation if you want me to. Hell, I can invite them over to ours and arrange for a grand birthday party for your boyfriend's mother if that'll make you feel better."

I smile at him, my heart happy with how much love I have around me. "I love you, Eddie. You're the b-best father a girl can have. And I'm truly okay, because I know I'm safe with you and Mama here. It means so much to me that you're doing this. I can't thank you enough."

"As long as you're happy, my darling. Your mother and I would walk this earth and back for you and your brother." His eyes shine with affection and fatherly love.

"I know. I'd do the same for you too." I beam at him. He drops a kiss to my head with the soft smile I've grown up seeing. We attach our arms again and head back to the awaiting company. And I suddenly realize that I no longer feel uncomfortable when he and Mama touch me at all.

Maddox looks nervous when I hold his hand, and he leans down to whisper. "Is everything alright?"

I nod my head and grin stupidly. He gives my hand a squeeze and we follow after his parents.

"Ella." Sofia is standing at the door with glossy eyes and her husband beside her. "I'm so sorry for the way I reacted. I shouldn't have snapped at you. I know you didn't mean to push Anna. Maddox has explained everything beforehand, and I knew it was a reflex. I just..." She shakes her head and looks at the floor, ashamed. "I'm really sorry."

"I'm s-sorry too." I take a deep breath, my hand tightening its hold on Maddox's instinctively. "Please b-believe that I would never intentionally hurt you or your f-family at all. I'm sorry for s-scaring you and making your girl cry."

Maddox clenches his jaw beside me but takes a deep breath and remains silent.

"You don't have to apologize at all." She quickly shakes her head, but I can see the appreciation in her eyes. "Are we good?"

"Y-yeah, we're good." I smile, glad that I've gotten my apology off my chest. Even if Maddox believes I've done nothing wrong, I still want to make sure that we can all move past this, regardless of whose fault it is.

"I'm glad you're alright, Ella." Her husband says sincerely and I wonder why I ever thought these kind people would hurt me. I know it was all in my head, but it's obvious to me now how much they love and care for each other, Maddox included. And if they love him so much, they would never want to hurt or upset someone he cares about.