Chapter One, Golden Boy

Hunter's Perspective

I awoke early in the morning as always to the repeated feeling of Rascal pecking my cheek, alerting me that the time was six and my day had begun. I groaned and shifted onto my side, attempting to swat away the pesky bird. "Not now-! I'm so tired Rascal- please-." I pleaded with the vibrant bird, though I tell him every night to wake me up at six. Rascal tweeted angrily and continued pecking me, pulling on strands of my blonde hair as well. "Ow- ow-! Okay- okay I'm awake!" I exclaimed and the determined cardinal calmed down, sitting on my nightstand. He started pruning his feathers as if nothing had happened and I grumbled. "Stupid bird-." I muttered tiredly and rubbed my face. I pushed back the warm sheets on my bed and got up, not enjoying how cold the floor felt to my feet.

I stretched and got a satisfying pop from my back, along with about ten unsatisfying slow-burns from my aching joints. Ugh. I opened up my closet and flitted through the different uniforms that were the same to any other eye. They had their own markings from missions that made them unique to me. I pulled off my night clothes and dropped them into the hamper in the corner of the colorless closet, taking a uniform at random and changing into it. It's not the best, but it's what my uncle wanted me to wear, and I respected that. After pulling on my cloak, I debated whether or not to put on my mask. It didn't seem to matter much, nobody respected me either way. Everyone already knew I was just a useless teen that isn't good enough for them. But hey, I'm good enough for my uncle. I think.

I pulled on some socks and form-fitting shoes that I enjoyed wearing. After that, I picked up my recently gifted satchel from beside my bed and pulled out my scroll, checking for a new message from Willow. She would sometimes message me or send me pictures of her plants. I liked that she's calmer than Luz with a lot of things, and doesn't try so hard with everything. She's very understanding and kind for her age. It seemed she did indeed send me a new message, it was a picture of an old yearbook group photo. Right, I had asked about what Hexside looked like when it was younger. I stared at the picture for a while, soaking in all of the details of the different demons and witches. There was even the younger blight in the photo, with similar looking older siblings.

I've never actually seen what they look like before. I was curious as to how old they were now. I was also curious as to why Willow was even up before six in the morning. I left the picture and asked her while looking for my artificial staff, which Rascal always hid because he hated it. "Oh Titan- Rascal I swear- wear could you have even put it? There's only so many places in this small room-." I groaned and glanced at my scroll to see if Willow responded. She had, only a minute ago. "Oh I'm just awake early because I went to bed early last night. So now I'm watering my plants and doing some last minute homework. And the twins are 16, by the way." She explained in her message and I looked up when my hand felt the familiar surface of my staff hid deep in my closet. I pulled out my luminous staff and shot a glare at the bird who was watching me with clear discontent.

"You always find new ways to annoy me-. But you're also a good companion, so I'll allow it." I said in a haughty voice and the bird chirped as if it was laughing. I cracked a tired smile and approached the bird, holding out a finger for him to perch on. He hopped on and I guided him to my shoulder, where he got comfy very easily. He enjoyed my shoulder guard. I fixed the cloak around my shoulders once more and glanced down at my scroll. Sixteen huh? I wonder if they're in covens yet. So, I asked. I could ask Willow anything, and she'd be nice enough to answer if she was comfortable with it. I watched her little bubble before she responded. "No, he and his twin Emira are stubborn about actually devoting themselves to their coven. Why do you ask? You aren't thinking of asking them to join are you?" She suspected and I got visibly distressed. I knew she couldn't see me, but I still tried to hide it.

I typed quickly so she wouldn't think I was hesitating to answer. "Well- Maybe, I don't even know how powerful they are. It's almost time for our official "Emperor's Coven Competition Day" though- I might pick them out in your school, it's part of my duties." I typed messily, spelling check having a ball with my blubbering butt. I hit send and covered my face in embarrassment. Titan kill me now. And today Belos told me to meet him during my breakfast period, so I guess I'm skipping it. I hesitantly looked down at my scroll, noticing that my favorite cardinal friend was reading my private messages. I didn't care much, he knew of my life. He looked over to me before tweeting melodically, and my mind processed it as words even though my ears didn't.