Chapter Twenty-Four, A Bad Decision

Hunter's Perspective

I was slowly guided into the house and immediately felt tense at the sight of familiar slime splattered all over the kitchen and house. My eyes followed a particularly thick cluster of goop towards what I assume used to be my uncle doing something. But now, his skin was torn open with huge dulled eyeballs and his body was ripped apart by what seemed like self harm. I approached the carnage slowly, taking breaths all the while. I kneeled down to his body and reached out to his paled, heavily destroyed face. I carefully caressed his ice cold cheek and jumped when the body twitched. There was a single gasp for air that escaped it, followed by a long silence. Then another terrifying attempt at breathing, but stronger than the last. I looked up at Raine, terrified by the idea that this mutilated thing was still trying to live. Raine got down on their knees beside me and squeezed my shoulder. "It's.. It's okay Hunter. Just breathe." They said in a quiet, calming tone. I nodded and watched worriedly as the body twitched again.

The blind eyes protruding from his skin began to move as well, some blinking in a broken way and others spasming strangely. I tensed up when his mouth gargled and moved in an attempt to communicate. I felt so uncomfortable watching this dysfunctional body try to stay alive and respond. "Here, hold still you weird little corpse thing.." Alador muttered and pulled out a bottle of abomination fluid, carefully shaping it onto his more messed up features. "It won't do much, but if it stays long enough it'll fuse to him and he'll be able to manipulate it." Alador explained and cringed at the sight of the twitching body. "Do you really think he's still alive?" I asked quietly and stared at the decimated corpse. His chest wasn't even moving, therefore I don't know how he could still be alive. "Only time will tell I suppose. But we can't exactly fetch a healing coven witch, everyone in this dimension would rather kill him than heal him." Alador pointed out and kneeled down beside me.

"... Maybe it would be better if we took him out of this body and found a new one?" I suggested and cringed at this oozing decaying form before me. "Souls are very delicate and picky, you can't shove them in just anything. We would need to find a creature without a soul that this soul is compatible with." Raine explained to me and sighed. "And soulless creatures are hard enough to find, because spirits love to take them at any opportunity." Raine continued and stared at the dimmed eyes on Belos' skin. "It looks so painful. Shouldn't we put him to rest?" Raine suggested and looked down at me for answers. Geez, was I really the only reason he was still alive anyways? "Er.. Well... Couldn't we wait a little longer?" I asked hopefully. I did feel bad for him, but I also didn't want to see him die. He should be able to pass on his own anyways. Raine simply nodded and rubbed my shoulder gently. "There is a way you could keep him alive, if you're so eager to." Edric stated and looked up at his dad. Alador cringed immediately and shook his head. "Oh please child, that shouldn't even be an option." He scoffed and looked at the body doubtfully.

Edric ignored his dad and pulled me aside. "You could keep his soul alive if you wanted for as long as you live, you would just need to let it rest in your mind." He told me and pushed back my messy hair. "Really? How do I do that?" I asked and moved closer to him. He glanced over at the suspicious adults who were watching and continued to talk to me. "All you have to do is swallow his soul, it's super easy." He explained and took my hands. I nervously fidgeted with his soft fingers and contemplated if I was willing to do that. "Would he.. have any control over me?" I asked curiously. That was an important thing to know if I wanted to follow through on this idea. "No not at all, you'd just be carrying him. Like... just as powerless as a thought in your head. A little puppy or something, I don't know." He told me and smiled reassuringly. He lightly squeezed my hands and rubbed them to calm my nerves. "Okay.. I do want to do that, so he will be fine until we find him a proper host." I decided and walked over to Belos with Edric in tow. "Are you sure about this Hunter? It might be a while until we can find a suitable candidate for him." Raine asked cautiously as I kneeled down. "I'm sure, I can do it." I said confidently and looked at Edric. "How do I.. Get it out of him?" I asked and smiled awkwardly.