Chapter Twenty, The Day of Unity (Part 2)

Hunter's Perspective

After helping treat the injured, the gathered group was stuck watching as the Day of Unity slowly came to be. We could attempt to attack, but it was a lot safer to sit and watch. I had gotten comfortable sitting beside Edric, keeping him comfortable in my arms. He was still distressed over seeing his dad in such a vulnerable state. "Are you sure you don't want to smell that balm I have? It's very good at calming." I asked and waved the stick in front of him. He stared at me with tired eyes and watched as I uncapped it. "Sure, I guess." He mumbled and allowed me to hold it close to his nose. He slowly breathed in the calming scent and laid down in my lap. "I just want to take a long, long nap." He sighed and hugged my leg. I stroked his pleasantly smooth green hair and pulled off his glasses so he could get more comfortable. "You can if you want to, I'll protect you." I hummed and rubbed his bony back. He stewed over the idea for a while as his eyes drooped more and more.

"A nap would be good." He said with a sleepy smile. Ruru scampered into my lap beside his head and head-butted him harshly. "Ow-! What was that for-?" Edric exclaimed and sat up, looking at the colorful fox. Ruru tugged on his hand and tried to drag him closer to the entrance. "What is it Ruru? What's going on?" He asked and followed the little fox. I got up and tagged along, curious as to what could've made the spicy little fox so riled up. Rascal hopped off of my shoulder and soared ahead, circling where Ruru had stopped. Ruru was yipping and whining, running around a small white cat. "Isn't that-." "That's Mitten's palisman, why would it be here-?" Edric asked and looked at me. He picked up the scrappy little cat and she mewed, curling up and shivering. "Maybe she's trying to ask us for help?" I suggested as Rascal landed on my shoulder. Rascal got comfortable and nuzzled my cheek. "I think we need to go." He said with increasing worry. "Hey wait, without me?" Emira huffed and took the scared cat from Edric.

Edric glared at her and rolled his honey-glazed eyes. "Come if you wish, but we're going without you." He hissed sourly and got onto his palisman. Without waiting for me, he took off towards the alter where The Day of Unity would occur. I quickly changed Rascal into a staff and flew after him. "Hey wait, wait Edric!" I exclaimed and chased after the angsty young man. He clearly had some beef with his twin sister, and wanted to get away from her. I caught up to him with the help of Rascal's quick flying. "Are you okay?" I asked as I coasted beside him. His irritated eyes were laser focused on the task ahead. I drifted closer to him and reached over, holding his shoulder so it was easier to stay connected. "What's up with you Ed?" I asked in a gentle tone. I didn't want to provoke him anymore, and he needed someone to just be there for him. "It's just- she basically dumped me for better friends, and never really talks to me anymore. And unlike her, I'm not popular. I'm just some silly prankster with no life. But without her I don't even feel like pranking for fun." He explained and lightly petted the fox on his staff. She cooed in response and sniffed his hand.

I let go of his shoulder and sighed. "I'm sorry you feel that way, but I'm sure once this is over I can help you. Or someone can, like your dad." I tried to assure him and stared at the well-dressed boy. Even though he wasn't exactly dapper, he looked comfortable. He sniffled and wiped his eyes, holding his glasses as he did so. "I wish I wasn't so sensitive." He huffed and put his glasses back on. I shrugged and patted his back. "If you were less sensitive, you'd probably end up like my uncle. And no one wants to end up like him." I pointed out, causing him to laugh a little. "That's a funny way to think about it, but you're right." He said with a smile. "I would definitely rather be sensitive than a psycho." He chuckled. I smiled as well and offered my hand to him. He interlocked his pale fingers with mine and pulled me over next to him. "You've made the past few days a lot more bearable for me Hunter." He admitted with a warm smile and glowing eyes.

I leaned on his shoulder and audibly "woah-oh-!"-ed when Rascal wavered under me. "Erm- I'm glad I've been able to make you feel better. I've also felt very comfortable having you around, it's a lot different than my environment in the castle." I said as my mind wandered to those terrifying memories. No way could I relax like this on the job, under Belos' watch. "You've made me realize something Hunter." He told me and supported my lazily laying body with his arm. "Oh yeah?" I responded, hoping he would tell me. "I've realized I'm not very dull or unappealing, I just think other people don't try very hard to understand me. Kind of like how people treat you." Edric observed as we soared over the trees. The cold air made me cling to him more as we went on. But, as I thought about it for a few moments, I started to think the same way. People find it much easier to befriend someone if they don't require care or attention, which I find ridiculous but understandable.