Chapter Nineteen, The Day of Unity (Part 1)

Hunter's Perspective

Once The Day of Unity arrived, all of the unbranded witches had hidden away while the rest gathered under Belos' command. They were so blissfully ignorant to the fact that they would not see paradise, that Belos was misleading them. Many of the schools and groups of rebels had joined our cave, including Edric and the students at his school. Currently we were playing a riveting game of hexus holdem, and I was winning for the first time. "No way you're winning dude, I call cheats." He huffed and playfully nudged me. I chuckled and placed down another card. "I'm not winning, I just won." I remarked with a smirk. He gasped and crossed his arms. "You dick-." He grumbled and turned away from me. I laughed and hugged him from behind. "Hey, I can't help it that I'm just amazing at the silly little game." I teased and continued to grin. Edric rolled his eyes and turned back to me, hugging me as well. "Can we play a different game now-?" He requested and let go of me. I packed up the cards in their fancifully decorated box and shrugged. "What other games did you bring?" I asked and he rummaged around through his bag.

"I've got lizards, snails, and demon dog tails." The happy Blight said and help up the potion themed board game. "Mm.. Anything else?" I asked curiously and took the box, placing it beside the card game. "Well I've also got a few books, but they aren't that exciting." He said and pulled out a collection of books. I eagerly looked at all of the different titles and ran my hands along the soothing material of old demon leather and glass reed paper sheets. I got comfortable beside him against the cold cave walls and picked out a nice looking book to flip through. As I was opening the first page, a magazine fell out and landed on the ground. I stared at the dirty magazine and glanced up at Edric who was totally embarrassed. "That's um... An interesting magazine." I commented and picked it up. There was a sultry looking witch with nary a cloth covering their perfect body. The alluring character had body tattoos and glowing pink eyes. I tore my eyes away from the indecent imagery and quickly handed the magazine to Edric. He shamefully avoided my gaze as he placed the magazine deep into his bag, hopefully to never breach again. He looked back up at me and rubbed the back of his neck. "Um.. I stole that from my dad's lab." He explained and fixed his glasses. I wrapped my arm around him and opened up the book. "No worries, you gotta do something to entertain yourself." I hummed and began reading the black leather book.

He leaned on my shoulder and read along with me. After a while of flipping through the book on demon magic, I placed the silk bookmark into the crevice of the page. It was definitely time for a snack. I looked over at Edric who was starting to fall asleep and reached past him, digging around in his bag until I found a snack. Cheese and crackers, yum. I ate the tasty snack happily and lightly nudged Edric. "Wake up sleepy head." I hummed and he tiredly grumbled, snuggling up to my arm. "No way, you're too comfy." He huffed and pressed his head into my neck. I smiled and ruffled his hair. "Fine, fine, but I've got to go soon." I reminded him and his head snapped up to look at me. "Where are you going?" He asked and I fixed his glasses that were falling off of his face. "I was planning on going with Raine just in case Belos still has enough magic for his spell to work." I explained and the green haired boy frowned. "Aren't you scared of him?" He asked and I nodded. "But I'm more worried about his plans going through." I responded and stared at his beautiful eyes. He seemed unconvinced that I needed to go. Even I wasn't exactly confident in coming with.

"Can I come with too?" He requested and sat up. "Just to make sure you'll be okay." He added and put everything neatly into his bag. I nodded and scratched my neck. "I would appreciate the extra protection." I admitted and stood up when I saw Raine nearing the cave entrance. Edric picked up his bag and Ruru, following me towards the entrance of the cave. Rascal flew ahead and sat on Raine's shoulder. Raine smiled slightly and turned to look at me. "Can i come with, Raine? I want to make sure the spell doesn't work." I requested and leaned on the nerdy boy beside me. Raine's brows furrowed as they worriedly watched me. "Hm.. I don't know, I think you should stay here where it is safe. I don't want you to be hurt by Belos again." They said and I sighed. "But..." I mumbled and scratched at my neck. I appreciated being protected, but I also wanted to help. Raine came close to me and offered their hands. I took them, enjoying the warm, soft old skin they had. They lightly rubbed my fidgety hands and looked at me with a loving gaze. That of a nurturing parent, trying to do the best thing for their child. I sighed and hugged them tightly. "Please don't get hurt." I whimpered and took a deep breath as they rubbed my back soothingly.