Chapter Twenty-Two, Clean Up

Hunter's Perspective

Raine had agreed to help me by bringing Belos into their home, but only under the agreement that I would never help him to regain strength. I wasn't sure he would even make it, with how weak he was and all. Edric had called on the crystal ball and told me the human was okay, but had some injuries that were being treated in Eda's house. Amity was unharmed but definitely upset, as were all of us. The others were scratched up, but nothing that could hold them back for more than a day or two. Now I was sitting beside my uncle's bed in an old, intricately carved oak chair. The clock on the wall was ticking by the seconds, counting and keeping my mind occupied with sound. Belos' weak frame was slowly rising and falling with his shallow breaths, and his pale skin was faded and sickly. I was slowly rubbing his cold palm with my thumb, listening to his gentle breathing. It soothed me, hearing his voice in any form. I wish he was well enough to open his eyes. I wanted to be held by him. I just wanted him to be here.

"Hey, you should take some time to eat Hunter. Just watching won't help you feel better." Raine spoke softly and offered me a bowl of soup. I hesitantly let go of my sickly uncle's hand and set the bowl in my lap. "Thank you Raine.." I mumbled and played with the spoon a little. Raine sat down beside me and rubbed my shoulder. "He will be okay, trust me." Raine hummed and brushed back my loose strand of hair. I nervously fidgeted and stared at my soup. "I'm not very hungry." I whispered and set the warm bowl on the nightstand. "What about a hug?" They offered and held open their arms. I glanced up at them and moved closer before hugging them loosely. "How about... you come get some sleep in my room, and I'll get out some essential oils to help you relax? They help me usually." Raine suggested and waited for me to respond. I just laid there for a while, breathing in their pleasant perfume. Their sweater was soft and comfortable to the touch, and calmed me down from my anxieties. I was really tired, I just didn't want to sleep and wake up to my uncle being gone forever. Maybe it was a trick of the mind, my need for him to be alive. But I was obsessed with the need for him to be here.

"Let's go to sleep now, okay?" Raine whispered and helped me to stand up. I nodded tiredly and followed them to bed, easily plummeting into the cushy pillows that kept my head comfortable. Raine helped me get cozy and lightly kissed my forehead. "Don't worry about a thing, I'm here." Raine hummed and opened up a small bottle of lavender oil, pouring it into a pretty little dish. I hugged my cushy white pillow close and tiredly watched as Raine got in beside me. "Will you take care of me forever?" I asked quietly. Raine smiled with their cute little dimples and cupped my cheek. "I will, if that's what you want." They responded lovingly. I eagerly snuggled up to them and pressed my cheek against their mint colored sweater. "I hope so." I responded with a sleepy yawn. "He called me.. A sweet child." I mumbled and closed my eyes. Raine hummed and stroked my clean hair. "You are a very sweet child Hunter. You have such a pure heart for caring about him." Raine whispered as they wrapped their arms around me. I was happy to accept the rest that pleaded for me.

I awoke in the morning to a fresh pair of clothes folded up beside me, and Rascal sitting on the clothes sleeping. I sat up slowly and yawned, stretching as the sunlight lit up my skin. "Morning Rascal, it's nice to see you." I hummed and stroked the small bird's feathers. Rascal flew into my lap and nuzzled my cheek, cooing sweetly. I smiled warmly and got up, slowly changing into the fresh clothes that were sitting out for me. A comfortable long sleeved white shirt with a dark green sweater, and a black pair of jeans that comfortably fit my legs. I guess Raine had old clothes for me to wear, and they were very perfect for me. I looked at myself in the mirror on the wall and smiled. I looked nice, I think so at least. Rascal sat down on my shoulder and lightly tugged on my hair. I lightly pushed away his beak, giggling as he played with me. Silly little bird. I strolled out of Raine's room and eagerly went to check on my uncle's condition.