Chapter Twelve, Punishment

Hunter's Perspective

I was aggressively shoved into the throne room, my hands released from the spell just fast enough that I could catch myself. The guards quickly fled, in fear of Belos' wrath. I was too afraid to look up, to see his piercing eyes through the mask. His voice made me quake in fear. "Hunter. I don't know what you were thinking. You obviously weren't thinking. You ran away from the castle, and that is unacceptable. But even worse is that you didn't even try to return until you were forced to. You should be ashamed, Hunter." The voice scorned me, making my fear worse. I didn't want to be hurt, It was a mistake. I shook and nodded, keeping my eyes on the ground. I felt guilty and afraid. My shaking got worse as his footsteps neared me, and I was sure I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. Not with the bruises and wounds. His feet stopped right in front of me, and I nervously looked up at him. "But... You're like a son to me. The only son I have. And I only want to protect you from harm, my sweet child." He muttered sickening lies as he crouched down to my level, holding my petrified body in his arms.

I was completely out of words. Out of breath. I was terrified. Stunned. This sickeningly evil man who has dark secrets I only barely know of is holding me. But... On the other side, he's also my uncle who raised me and taught me everything I know. I was very conflicted and scared. "Everything will go away Hunter... The Day of Unity will fix everything that has happened. I promise." He told me with a certain poison in his words. I couldn't trust anything he was saying, but I wanted to so badly. I just wanted to give up, I was so tired. I laid in his arms and sniffled, giving in to the temptation to return the hug. "Ohhh, it's okay.. I know everything has been so hard for you Hunter. But... I'll take care of you, it's okay." He assured me and slowly picked up my weeping form. I couldn't control myself anymore. Everything just came out in chokes and sobs. My face was full of constant water bubbling out of me. I could die today. But I can't do anything about it but cry.

"Let's get you to bed..." He whispered in his rough, dry voice as he carried my pathetic self. I curled up in his arms and tried to forget about everything that had happened. All of my stress and phobias and terror, everything that was plaguing me. I flinched when he sat down and slowly set my shaking body down. I quickly retreated to hiding under my sheets, still not trusting him at all. I left a frail hand rub my hiding form as a sign of comfort as his voice spoke. "Shhh... I'm not going to punish you Hunter. I've tried it with you for years, and you still aren't perfect. I think a new method of improvement is in order." He told me while rubbing my clothed leg. I started to calm down, despite the nagging feeling I had that it was all a lie. "Do you want a hug Hunter? I know I haven't given you a proper, real one in a long while." He offered and I peaked my head out of the sheets. I sniffled and wiped my nose on my sleeve, staring with wide magenta eyes full of tears. I tightly gripped the edge of the off-white sheets and looked upon the older man who had his arms open to me.

If I didn't know or hear or see the things i had, I would see this as an innocent display of affection that I would immediately accept. But I couldn't think that way, not after everything. What exactly had caused this paranoia? Well, The fact that Willow had told me of many corrupt seedy things the Emperor hid from my view was more than enough to push me into this state. But there's no use in fighting him right now. I have to play it cool, and come up with a plan later. I pulled myself together and hesitantly hugged him, feeling strangely calm as time went on. Almost.. Floating on a cloud. Everything started to melt away. My head was in an increasing amount of pain by the second, but I didn't heed its warning. "Go to sleep Hunter... It's okay." Belos whispered as he caressed my hair. And then, I fell asleep in his arms...

Well, that's what I wish would have happened. But in reality, life wasn't that pretty, and my back was hurting from the lashings. My muscles were sore from the terrible pain, almost numb at this point. Though I endured it all without a noise. Any sign of weakness would show him that he should punish me more. After many minutes of being abused, I was left to lay on the floor and pant like a dog. But Belos lingered, watching me with those slightly glowing eyes. I didn't dare to move without his permission, as it would be another excuse to punish me for lack of obedience. "Sit up Hunter." He commanded me. I did as he said, despite my back desperately fighting against it as my healing wounds were disrupted by the shift. I stared at the ground, and also at his boots. They looked really out of date and worn. "Well, you've received your punishments, but I'm feeling generous today. Get up, I'll clean your wounds and we can talk more about your foolish choices." He spoke coldly.