Chapter Three, Here Little Birdie

Hunter's Perspective

After reporting what I had observed to Emperor Belos, I walked back to my room with my hands comfortably clasped together. I was sort of excited to see Raine again, and maybe get another hug. I opened the plain looking door to my room to see my room fully abandoned and the window left open all the way. I immediately lost the slight smile I had and looked around for my Palisman. I closed my door before speaking. "Rascal-!! Where are you? And where did Raine go?" I asked to the empty room and started looking around for my animal. "Hey Rascal? Heeyyy? Rascal?" I called for the familiar bird and there was no noise. Even when Rascal plays hide and seek with me, he usually will come out if he knows I'm worried.

I looked around confused and looked out the window. I sighed and grabbed my synthetic staff, getting ready to scout the area for Raine and Rascal. I jumped out of the window and onto my staff, beginning my search along the grounds. I can't believe I let them get away like that. I'm so stupid. After a quick ring around the castle, I flew in the direction of the nearest town in hopes that they had hidden there. My eyes flew to every thing that moved in the forest, searching desperately for either my bird or the lost coven head. What used to be minutes of adrenaline-filled searching turned into desperate hours of flying around looking for my Palisman or Raine. I started to get exhausted, and by now I was very far away from the castle. Too far away to teleport without tiring the energy in my staff to the point of giving up.

I shook my head and held my face in my hands. "I'm so stupid... I can't believe how stupid I am... This is why I only listen to Belos." I muttered angrily, slouching and groaning. I don't even know where I am right now. I know there's a town a few miles back, but I don't know if my staff can make it that far before recharging. I might have to walk, which is much more dangerous at night. I took a deep breath and began flying back towards the closest town, where I could find a place to rest up and let my staff recharge. The sun was close to setting, and I was so hungry and thirsty and tired... A few minutes into the journey back, my staff began to short-circuit and dim. That meant it would shut off completely if I didn't land, and I couldn't afford to be defenseless.

I landed in the thick forest and disabled my staff, allowing it to recharge. I couldn't remember exactly which town was closest that I was heading to, but I did know where to go. Once I had gotten steady on my feet and used to the ground again, I continued my trek towards the closest town. I knew which direction it was in according to the rising moon and the lowering sun, but that was a bit of an issue once the forest got thicker and harder to even navigate through. Most of the threats were harmless, ecosystems already there that I knew how to avoid or muddle through safely. However, by the time I could see the sky again the sun had completely set. I had to recalibrate where it would be based off of the moon's direction before pushing forward past creeks and deadly animals of all sorts. I was starting to develop a bad itch, but I already knew it was just from the vampire flies. I could ignore the feeling because I knew scratching it only worsened the reaction, but it still irritated me.

My eyes started to grow heavier as the trees lightened up and I grew nearer to civilization. I would have ran out of the forest, but I don't have the energy or foolishness to do something so dangerous. My head started to feel dizzy because I was so tired as I dragged my body towards the nearby town. I could see the light in this distance, and the road that lead out to the edge of the forest. My tired mind didn't seem to comprehend exactly where I was or what I was doing, so I just clumsily stumbled towards that light. I can't go to sleep now, my life is in danger. What if I get kidnapped? What if something eats me? What if I'm... Mhh... My eyes wouldn't stay open anymore as my brain got fuzzy and numb. My muscles relaxed fully and I felt my body collapse on the ground, but it all felt like a passing dream. Everything was so hazy and sleepy. My thoughts stopped processing what I felt and went blank.

My mind started to stir in an unfamiliar place, but quickly dove back into a restful state.

After a few more times of my mind waking shortly and sleeping, my body felt much better. I began waking up and sleepily opened my eyes, blinking tiredly. My eyes were wet and covered in gross morning mildew. I slowly reached up to rub out the gross feeling and shifted onto my side. I didn't necessarily want to wake up, even if I did have my eyes open a little. That idea was immediately shot down when I felt a hand on my arm. My body reacted like I had been slapped and I spasmed, completely waking up out of panic. I sat up swiftly and looked around for the danger. My eyes stopped on a teenager with dark green hair and almond brown eyes. He seemed just as startled as I was. I recognized him from something, but I was too tired and disoriented to recall.

His surprised expression fell into a more smug one, with eyelids lowered and grin halfway done. "Oh heyyy, It's the Golden Guard. Finally awake again. You're a lot cuter than your pictures." He flirted poorly and I cringed. I examined him more and noticed the container he was holding. A bowl of soup, and he had a spoon as well. I stared awkwardly at the boy, not really sure what to say in this circumstance. "You aren't... Keeping me here are you?" I asked and the boy seemed confused by my question. "Er- I can if you want, but I don't think my parents would approve of you sleeping in my room forever." He said seriously and held out the soup to me. "But this is for you, if you'll take it." He told me and I did indeed take it with the spoon. I laid my back against the fancy headboard and began spooning the delicious smelling soup into my ravenous mouth. I felt uncomfortable with this strange boy watching me, but I couldn't ask him to leave his own room.

I avoided making eye contact with him as I looked around the room. It seemed more and more obvious to me, but I still didn't know what exactly I recognized him from. "Er- Hey Golden Guard, you're getting it on your vest." He pointed out and I snapped out of it, placing the dripping spoon in my mouth. I recoiled slightly when the weird boy wiped up the mess on my vest. "There, better." He hummed and I glared at him. He got so close to me without any warning. "Sheesh- calm down golden boy, you can't throw attitude around in my house in my room in my bed." He huffed and backed away. I continued to glare for a moment before continuing to hungrily devour my soup. It was really delicious and tasted like demon eyes. It was probably in the broth. Once I had finished the bowl, I set the spoon in the fine porcelain and carefully set it on the nightstand.

I hesitantly looked at the strange teen and we shared eye contact for an uncomfortable amount of time before he spoke up. "My name's Edric. Do you have a name?" He asked curiously and I moved the hair that was hanging over my eyes. "You don't need to know." I said stubbornly and he chuckled. "You're so spicy, like that little human." He stated with a grin and I pulled the sheets off of my legs. He knows the human? Well that probably isn't good for me. "Er.. The human isn't here, are they?" I asked and he began to speak when I heard an all too familiar noise that cut him off. The sound of the human's voice downstairs. I cringed and looked around for my staff, panic setting in quickly. The human is the last person I want to see right now. Or ever. Edric noticed my panic and gently pushed me back down onto the bed. "Hey, it's fine. What are you even looking for? The windows are secure and the door would just have the human outside of it." He pointed out and I groaned, trying to get up. He at least let me sit at the edge of my bed and wait for the human.

Pretty sure I didn't misgender but you can always check.