Chapter Fifteen, The Rainbow

Hunter's Perspective

I was at my desk talking to Willow over messages, telling her everything about Belos' plans. I made her promise to not tell the others, as the human is very prone to doing stupid things just to be named the heroine of her own story. "So what should we do?" She asked after I finished filling her in. "Well... there's already a plan being made right now, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to cover everything that needs to happen. Is there a way you could talk to your principal about what's happening and have the staff make a safety plan for The Day of Unity?" I suggested and waited for her reply. My mind was searching for ways to inform select people that needed to know what was going on. "That's a good idea, I'm actually at school right now because I had to redo a test. Wish me luck." She said before going offline. I nervously tapped my foot on the floor and sighed. "This is the worst." I groaned and rubbed my face. My groaning and stressing was interrupted by a sound on the glass. It was a clear tapping noise.

I looked over at the window and saw my little Palisman sitting there. "Oh, Rascal. Hi buddy." I said and opened the window, laughing when he immediately nested in my dirty hair. I reached up and softly petted the affectionate bird, humming quietly. "Did you miss me?" He asked without saying a word. "Yes, you always help me calm down and there's been a lot of eventful things going on that I need advice with." I told the bird as he lightly tugged on my hair to rearrange his "nest". He simply nodded and tweeted when I swatted at his beak. "I know you don't like to tell me too much knowledge that could be used to change "fate" or whatever, but... I just recently learned what Belos really wants to do during The Day of Unity, and the literal fate of The Boiling Isles depends on the few people that know about it. Is there something I could do to stop the ritual?" I asked him. He hopped off of my head and into my hand, looking up at me with a blank stare. "I can not see the future on my own, but I do know how you could stop this ritual. However it's very risky and you're not meant to know at this time. It is... Something I must think about. In the meantime, do what you think is best." He told me through tweets and chirps. I nodded and set him on my desk.

"As long as I know there's a way, I can relax." I sighed in relief. Rascal simply shook his head and looked away. "Let's see, what next? I guess I should go check on what Belos is doing." I thought out loud and Rascal flew over to my bed, cooing supportively. I smiled slightly and got changed, trying to fix up my hair a little before going out into the hallway. I placed my hands into my pockets and sighed contently, strolling through the halls and walking past guards. One in particular stopped me, stepping in front of me. The guard was quite feminine looking despite the uniform trying to keep all body types equally hidden. There was a long trail of silky blue hair that trailed down the rather plain uniform shoulders, going all the way down to their boots. It almost seemed like a combat hazard, but I suppose they have a reason for being allowed such long hair. "Sir, our captain had filled us in on some important information that you are included in. Could I talk to you about such information in private?" They asked and I nodded. "I'm not in a hurry." I said and followed them into a secluded meeting room.

It was usually reserved for private meetings between higher ups, but it would work for our purposes. "May I.. Take off my mask? It's a bit hard to hear and speak with it on." They requested and I shrugged. "Go ahead, I don't mind." I hummed and watched as they slowly pulled off their mask. They had a sweet, gentle face and hot pink eyes that shimmered like pink sapphires and rubies. They had small black horn stubs and black colored veins that trickled from them. "I'm Blair. Girl. 17." She said as a sort of self-report. "So.. We agreed all together to cut off the energy source of the ritual. As in.. capturing all of the Coven Heads that are going to participate. Of course, we can't be suspicious about it, so we'll be capturing them all during The Day of Unity. So... That's it." She sighed and nervously rubbed her arm. "Thank you for informing me. What will I be doing during this?" I asked as she fidgeted. "You'll be going along with The Emperor and distracting him until our plan is complete." She told me and put on her mask once more.

"Um.. Nice to meet you by the way." She whispered and left the room quickly. I waved and walked behind her slowly, not trying to freak her out by going fast. She seemed pretty nervous without anything interfering. I continued to walk towards the throne room, where Belos often resided when he was not busy or working in his private lab. I walked into the large room and scratched my neck nervously as my eyes met Belos'. "Ah Hunter, I'd like to talk you to about something." He hummed and beckoned me over. I walked up to his throne and kept my hands behind my back. "I'd like to introduce you to staff-less magic, seeming as you won't be using it soon. It takes a lot of practice, but we have limited time, so I'll have to teach you myself. Follow me Hunter." He said and stood up, popping a few stiff bones before moving. I followed him out into the Royal Garden, looking around at all of the beautiful plants with a glimmer of fascination in my eyes. It was all so beautiful and intricately tended to. Bushes shaped like hearts or creatures or cubes, or anything you could think of. Rare and exotic flowers blooming in well-off planters that had magic soil. Trees twisting into the flowing sky with their veiny roots pushing deep into the ground.

"Now then, hold out your hands for me." He commanded and turned to me. I held out my hands and watched as he turned them so he could access my palms. "This will only hurt a little, and the payoff is worth it." He told me before pulling out a small dagger from his pocket, one infused with powerful magic usually used in the head coven's sigils. I desperately felt like pulling away as his hands moved closer to me, but I had to trust him. If nothing, to keep up the act that I was innocent of his crimes. Magical hands wouldn't hurt either though. I squeezed my eyes shut and turned my head away. I winced the moment the knife grazed my flesh, starting a circle in my palms. After minutes of careful skin carving and biting the skin in my mouth, the metal was pulled away and I looked at my hands. They were bleeding pretty bad, but the sting was way worse than what it looked like. "I don't have time to wait for it to seal on its own, hold still." He sighed in irritation and took my hands into his own, healing the bloody mess with his fingers. It left a dark and very permanent scar in my skin with a slight glow to it.

He wiped away the crimson pool of blood in my palms and let go of me. "Now, let's get to work. These are channeling sigils that help lesser magical beings access their inner magic or the magic surrounding them. It's usually paired with a powerful magic source such as a pair of natural garnet bracelets that react strongly to magic in your blood. But I have something far better than common garnet bracelets." He said and pulled out a small necklace that held a brightly shining demon's eye jewel. It had been finely polished and enchanted, made specifically for casting from the heart to the hands. Belos clipped the necklace around my neck and gazed fondly upon it. "I used to use that necklace before I found better ways of magic. Now... Attempt to use your fingers alone to make magic. Flowers, light, illusions, anything you want." He instructed me and stood aside. "Um.. Do I make one of those symbols first or..?" I asked and he shook his head. "The stone directs your magic to do whatever you think, you don't need to tell your hands what your mind wants." He explained and waited for me to try. I thought of a good starter attempt before slowly forming a baby rainbow between my hands.

It was an illusion, but I found it beautiful. After all, my own hands made it. The shimmer from the illusion reminded me of the first time I was able to cast hand magic, with Edric. Except now, I don't need gloves or glyphs. So much easier, and without all of the weird side-effects. "Good job Hunter. Now, try once more with something more exciting. Perhaps fire?" He suggested and watched expectantly. "Um.. I'll try my best." I mumbled and slowly formed a small flame in my hand. I was convinced it would set my hand on fire, yet I barely even felt the heat. I weaved the flame through the air, leaving a trail of distorted air from the intense heat. "Yes, very good. The stone is helping a lot. But we can't put too much strain on your body, so rest for now. Practice whenever you have the chance, but I'm much too busy to bother with your skills since I know you can do it yourself." He said and patted my shoulder before leaving the garden. I followed him and tried to speak up. "Uncle- Uh- Did you have lunch yet?" I asked and he turned to look at me.

"Why no, I haven't. Care to join me?" He offered and I nodded. My stomach was hungry. "Then come." He said coldly as always. His voice was so stern and unloving most of the time. I walked beside him and looked down at his hand. I sort of wanted to hold it, seeming as I rarely got physical contact with him until recently. Maybe he would let me, but I had to ask first just to be sure. "May I hold your hand uncle?" I asked and he looked over at me, seeming amused. "Oh Hunter, of course you can." He chuckled and took my hand into his own. It's strange how he's acting, is he purposefully trying to get me close to him for when he.. destroys the world? I won't ever know.