Chapter Two, Unraveling Mysteries

Hunter's Perspective

Once I arrived back at my sparsely decorated room and shut the door, I let Rascal fly free. He ended up perched on my staff, which was rare for him because of how much he hated it. He only remained for a few seconds before hopping onto my head and getting comfy, behaving like he was nesting in my dirty blonde hair. Once he was settled down, I laid my synthetic staff against the doorway and approached Raine who was still peacefully sleeping. They looked pale as ever, but at least they seemed better. I pulled up the blankets over their resting body a bit more and smiled softly. I had some memories with Raine, even if we didn't interact that often. When I was new to the castle, and didn't know any magic, just when my uncle had taken me in, Raine taught me how to play guitar.

I still have the guitar in its case in my closet, but I never play it anymore. I'm afraid of playing it because my uncle forbid me to after my own magic was actually produced from playing the guitar. I didn't even know it was possible, and now I'll never know it was again. Well.. It wouldn't hurt to play again, it's not as though Belos would know right? It's very tempting. But I'll ask my palisman first, he's much smarter about these things. "Rascal, I was ordered to not play my guitar, but nobody's around to hear it. Do you think I should?" I asked and the bird seemed to contemplate my question. He sang out and his melody spoke to me. "Of course, do what your heart desires." Yes, a very Rascal thing to say. He's always chirping about listening to my feelings or being more considerate instead of blindly obeying orders. He's a good bird to get advice from.

I smiled when he nuzzled my cheek affectionately and fixed a loose strand of hair with his beak. "Thanks Rascal. You're such a good Palisman." I hummed and gently pet the sweet bird as I walked to the closet to retrieve my guitar. I opened it up and took out my beautifully painted case, fondly remembering painting it late at night after training when I was younger. I sat down on my chair and popped open the case, carefully taking out the old guitar. There's so many memories, I can't believe I tried to forget about them. I positioned the guitar in my arms and picked up one of the many hand-painted picks from my case. I could've just used my hands, but I wasn't in the zone yet. I looked over at the sleeping mint-haired witch and tried to recollect how I used to play. I remembered how to hold it, that was a start at least.

I lightly strummed some of the strings and listened to the noise. I couldn't remember everything, but I remembered enough that I could keep on strumming. I laid back in my chair and closed my eyes, trying not to be as tense and mechanical about my movements. It's a problem Raine had to teach me to ignore, but I guess I relearned the problem after all this time. Rascal was trying to match the pitch of the guitar, which meant he liked it. I know I should probably be quieter for the sake of Raine, but it's not that loud... And they did come into my room after all, I'm not exactly in the wrong. After a while I got into a rhythm that sounded nice and I kept strumming the same thing. Rascal caught on and tried to tweet to the melody.

I heard shifting and opened my eyes to see Raine awaking. Well, I can't say I didn't expect it. I did try to play quietly though. I strummed lightly and watched Raine sit up and stretch. They looked less sickly now, and well-rested. They also looked confused as to where they were. They reached around for their glasses before finding them and putting them on. "Um... Where am I?" They asked and held the warm blankets close to their supposedly cold body. "You're in my room- Hunter? Y'know, The Golden Guard? You asked to come in and sort of fell asleep." I explained poorly and they looked down at the guitar I had. "Oh.. Well, before I leave, could you play something for me?" They requested and sat at the edge of my bed.

"Terra hasn't let me listen to music ever since I got this sickness." They told me and smiled softly. "I'm sure whatever you play would sound nice." They added and I smiled as well. Raine has always been a nice coven head. Much nicer than the others. "Sure, I can play, but I've not practiced in a long time. It might not be that good." I said in an apologetic voice. They waved it off and waited patiently, swaying their legs. I began strumming something akin to before, but with more feeling. I didn't have to be quiet after all. I would sometimes add in a unique splash, but I always liked listening to music that was rather repetitive. Something to sing to I suppose, though I wouldn't sing. My ears perked up at the sound of Raine singing quietly. It was enough to go over the guitar, but it was gentle and timid. Like them most of the time.

Once my hands started to get tired, I'm guessing from being out of practice, I faded out of the tune and set my guitar back in its case. "Ouch- my wrists-." I complained and Raine reached over, pulling my sore wrists over to themself for closer examination. "Oh, you'll be alright, just use this." They said and fished something out of their pouch. It was a soothing balm from the healing coven. "It looks like it's just stuff that calms you down, but it also helps relax and heal the muscles you rub it over." They explained and gently ran the soft balm over my sore wrists. "I mostly just use it for my anxiety though." They overshared and awkwardly smiled. "It happens a lot- it might help calm you down too, you can smell it on your wrist whenever you're nervous. It'll rub off of course in an hour or two, but here. I have more in my pouch." They rambled on before handing me the balm stick.

"You just put it under your nose or on your chest when you sleep, or whenever really. Then you'll relax naturally." They explained and got up. "Um- I should really be going, I'm sure Terra is worried about me." They said and I got up as well. "Ah- wait a moment more, please." I requested and Raine stared at me curiously. "Yes? What is it Hunter?" They asked and I took a distracted moment to notice we were close to the same height. "Ah- Why is it that when you are with Mrs. Snapdragon, you're sick, but when you slept here, you were better?" I asked observantly and they took a moment to think about what I said. "Oh, well... Hm..." They muttered unsurely. I had noticed other strange things as well. "And why would she not let the literal head of the bard coven not listen to music-? How would a sickness keep you from that?" I asked suspiciously and they started to look distressed.

"I think I might be in trouble." They stated worriedly and I tiredly rubbed my face. "Listen- if she's trying to do something sick to you, it's not necessary my business, but I'm helping anyways because that's what Rascal would want me to do." I stated and Raine cracked up a bit. They smiled and stroked the bird on my head. "I understand, it is a very nice bird after all." They reasoned and Rascal chirped happily. "But seriously, if there's something malicious going on here, I need to tell Emperor Belos." I said and Raine stared at me with wide eyes. "Oh-! W-Well- yes- you go tell Emperor Belos, and I'll take care of your bird while you're gone. Deal?" They proposed and held out their hand. That would be a lot better than Rascal hiding in my bag, it's a good idea.

"Alright, deal." I agreed and shook their hand. Rascal tweeted happily and hopped onto Raine's head. Rascal seemed more than happy to have a babysitter, or a bird-sitter in this case. "I'll be back shortly, his favorite treats are in the nightstand's second drawer. I'm sure he'll show you." I said quickly and tensed when Raine fixed a loose strand of hair that was hanging over my eye. "Alright." They hummed and smiled warmly. I felt so.. happy, like if a parent gave their kid a kiss on the forehead. I smiled in return and hugged them out of pure instinct. They seemed shocked at first before hugging me tightly. "You're a good kid, Hunter." They hummed and gently rubbed my back. I closed my eyes and rested my head in their soft neck. It felt aged and doughy, such a nice and comfortable texture. I could hug them all day and not get tired of it, even though usually I would never hug someone that long. I never hug anyone at all.

I tensed at the feeling of their hand gently rubbing my back. They stopped and loosened their grip on me. "Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." They apologized quickly and I awkwardly backed away from them. "It's alright.. I'm just not used to it is all." I explained and they clasped their hands together. "It's quite alright, I understand Hunter. You should probably be off now if you really want to notify Belos." They pointed out and pet Rascal who had made a makeshift nest out of their hair. "Right! I'll be back soon." I stated and quickly left the room to avoid any further awkward conversation.

Again, if I misgendered feel free to correct me.