Chapter Five, In it for the Long Haul

Hunter's Perspective

I started to wake to the feeling of sudden diving, which not only made my stomach flip but also woke me up immediately. I tightly gripped Edric's shirt and gasped, opening my eyes. The staff stopped falling and I looked at Ed with the biggest eyes. "What was that for-?!" I half-yelled out of sheer panic. He tried to calm me down and held my tense hands. "Hey, hey- it's alright, Ruru just had to land." Edric assured me and I sighed in relief. He helped me get off of the landed staff and I sleepily stumbled onto him. The green haired witch held me and helped me to my feet. "Ruru just needs to stretch her legs, she'll only be a minute." He assured me and I rubbed my face tiredly. I leaned against the kind young man and struggled wake up my system. I may have been shocked into waking up, but the rest of me wasn't awake yet. I yelped when I was scooped up into the taller boy's arms. "Got you sleepyhead." He hummed and I awkwardly stared at him. "Why did you pick me up-?" I asked and leaned onto his chest.

"You seemed tired, and I didn't want you sleeping on the ground again like a weirdo." He jabbed a bit and held me close. I tiredly blinked and rested my head on his chest. "Fine with me..." I mumbled and closed my eyes. Even though I barely knew this kid, I knew I could trust him more than most of the people at the castle, and that's something for sure. "Ah shoot- hey, I need to use the bathroom, I'll be right back." He said quickly and propped me up against a tree before walking off. Now that I thought about it, I similarly needed to relieve myself. I forced myself to my feet and wobbled a bit before finding a good spot, coming back after I had listened to nature's calling. Edric had yet to return, so I was left with Ruru nuzzling my leg and yipping. I gently pet her and held her in my arms, smiling softly when she coated my face in love-licks. I laughed and returned the favor by gently kissing her fluffy little forehead. "You may be a bratty little fox, but you're sweet sometimes." I hummed and she snorted in annoyance.

"Oh don't give me that, you know it's true." I retorted and she looked up at me with her fierce red eyes. I rolled my eyes and began shaking the little fox like a toddler. "You aren't above me, i have opposable thumbs." I huffed and the baby fox whined. Listen, I'm not above shaking animals to prove a point. I stopped when I heard Edric's voice behind me. "What are you doing to Ruru? Trying to make her fizz like soda?" He asked and removed the tiny dizzy fox from my hands. "Errr- I just got carried away is all." I said and held my hands behind my back. The pine haired boy looked at me concerned before setting down Ruru. "Well alright then, just don't do that to animals." He told me and I nodded. I felt guilty, but only because of him. That little fox deserved it for being so snide. Edric convinced Ruru to turn back into a staff and got on, setting his back on as well. I climbed on behind him and rested my head on his shoulder once more, which was now my go-to position for the ride.

"Hey you still have my cape right?" I asked, suddenly having remembered that I gave it to him. My memory was fuzzy after sleeping. "Yeah, I've been using it as a sorta blanket still. That's fine isn't it?" He asked and I nodded, wrapping my arms around his waist. I sleepily blinked and snuggled up to him for warmth. I could feel my stomach rumbling for a snack already. "You have food in that bag right?" I asked and he hooked a few fingers under the leather straps of the bag, pulling it off of the staff and setting it down before opening it. "Yeah, I actually made them myself. And packed the rest of course. Would you like some?" He offered and I stared hungrily as I watched him sift through the bag. There were a lot of necessities in there, like water or an emergency alert pendant. "Yes please." I said quietly and my stomach rumbled as I waited. "Yeah- I probably should've fed you better before we left. Here you go." He said before placing a small plastic box in my hands. He then closed the bag securely and returned it to its rightful place.

I had to take a minute to figure out how to open it, seeming as it was tight. It was like a food capsule almost with a locking mechanism on the outside. Inside of it was little sections that had different things like cheese, nuts, and boo-berry yogurt. It's a good thing this had a cold seal on it, otherwise it would've spoiled. I happily devoured the nutritious meal and tried my best to hold onto the soaring staff at the same time. Once I had finished out the container and my stomach was thoroughly stuffed, I closed the container and carefully placed it back in the bag. "Was it good?" He asked curiously and I placed my head on his shoulder. "It was really good. I'm curious to taste what you made yourself." I hummed and his face lit up with a red hue. Did I say something provocative? Ah, no matter. I closed my eyes and rested my hands on the rim of his pants. "Y'know, you've got a cute smile." I complimented quietly and opened an eye to see his reaction. I was curious if I really was getting him flustered.