Chapter Seventeen, Scheming and Action

Edric's Perspective

After relaxing at Eda's house for a while, I said my goodbyes and returned home to tell my father of the recent events. He was very clearly displeased with all of this, especially Mittens running away with that little human. He seemed so exhausted and tired of everything, he just sat in the living room and held his face in his dirty hands. I slowly rubbed his back as he let out a deep sigh. "Edric- you're a good kid, I hope you know that.." He muttered and looked up at me. I could see how much he wanted to give up. His eyes were dull and lifeless, but he still tried his best to put on a smile for me. "It's going to be okay..." He mumbled and got up. "Let's get this over with." He grumbled and placed his old, worn hands into his pockets, walking towards the lab. "What are we going to do father?" I asked curiously as he quickly walked and I followed. "Edric, a smart man will invent a brilliant machine, and a genius will invent a self destruct mechanism. The abominations may be owned by Belos, but it's still my magic." He explained and sat down in his working chair, encouraging me to sit on a stool beside him. I sat down and watched as my dad pulled out a small, tightly locked box.

He unlocked it with abomination goo, revealing a small button that glowed purple. "Would you like to press it?" He asked and offered the box to me. I stared at the button and looked at him. "What does it do exactly?" I asked cautiously. He thought of his words for a moment before speaking. "Well to put it simply, it renews their instinct to meld together into one large abomination and attack." He explained and continued to hold out the button. "Go on, press it." He hummed and I nervously fidgeted. I reached out and lightly pressed the bright purple button, feeling relieved as the pressure escaped me. "That won't kill anyone right?" I asked quietly and we made brief eye contact before I stared at the ground. "Right, they could only incapacitate people and move on due to the type of frenzy they're in. Killing would take too much work, and stir up too much trouble." He reasoned and put away the button. I stared at my father for quite a long time, watching as his tired brown eyes dully gazed back.

"Father, can I have a hug?" I asked meekly and held out my arms. His lifeless expression shifted with a gentle smile, one I was not used to seeing. Mother was always around when I saw him, scorning him and forcing him into work. He never smiled like when I was little, when the business wasn't so big and scary. I felt overwhelmed by the idea of his happiness, my own wish surprised me as he pulled me into a tight hug. I rested my head on his shoulder, my eyes fluttering before closing fully. "I love you dad.." I mumbled and heard him sigh. "I love you too, Edric. You and your siblings keep me alive.." He muttered and rubbed my back. "Dad, can we go to the school now? I already told the golden guard that Amity and Luz are coming, so we should probably get to safety." I requested and got up, smiling when he rubbed my shoulder. "Speaking of that golden guard boy, what do you think will happen to him?" He asked and walked with me out of the lab. I shrugged and squeezed his hand. "He'll be okay, he's a tough guy." I assured him and looked at the path ahead.

Dad smiled playfully and nudged my shoulder. "You two seem like great friends, I wonder if that will turn into something else." He suggested and snickered. I blushed lightly and shook my head. "It isn't like that dad, I don't think he should be dating anyways." I reasoned and covered my red cheeks. "Well, if it does turn out that way, I certainly wouldn't mind." He hummed and placed his hands into his pockets. I blushed more and shook my head. "Dad don't say that-! It's embarrassing- I don't even know if I like guys or not-." I huffed and tried to get over my flustered feelings. "You know, I was around your age when I realized I liked men." He told me with his own red cheeks. I tilted my head and looked at him. "You like guys? Why did you marry mom then?" I asked and watched him form his thoughts while attempting to wipe away his red face. "I mean, I did like her too, she was very charming when she was younger. Sort of like.. a nightly temptress." He explained and rubbed his arm awkwardly.

"Oh. You um... Were seduced by her charm?" I asked and he chuckled. "Oh yes, but that is sometimes how it is when you're young." He dismissed and ruffled my hair. "And I'm glad that means I got to have you. And your sister, and your little sister." He stated with warm eyes of affection. I smiled and leaned on him as we strolled across the old stone path. "I know I'm supposed to be mad at you for not taking care of us a lot, but.. I know it isn't really your fault." I told him and placed my head on his shoulder. He lightly rubbed my back and kissed my forehead. "I appreciate it, kiddo. But don't be too hard on your little sister if she doesn't see me the same way." He told me and smiled when I lightly kissed his cheek. "Sure dad, I'll try my best." I assured him and held his hand. "Did you ever have a Palisman, father?" I asked curiously. "Oh no, I never got a Palisman. But it's okay, I am just fine not having one." He hummed and yawned, stretching and wincing when his back popped.

"If you had a Palisman what would it be?" I asked and thought about Ruru. She was a perfect reflection of what I was on the inside, and she always knew how to cheer me up. "I believe I would have a platypus." He said with confidence. "A platypus? Why??" I asked with furrowed brows. He shrugged and smiled fondly. "They're weird and cute, and one of two mammals to lay eggs, I just like them." He explained and formed a small platypus with abomination goop. He played with the small figure and held it out to me. I petted the small platypus and scratched its little head. "They are pretty cute." I hummed and chuckled when it tried to bite my hand. It was so tiny and adorable. "They are also poisonous, which is very cool." He said with a proud grin. It seemed he knew a lot of cool facts about platypuses, he probably liked to study about them in his free time. "Here we are, your little school." Dad announced and stopped at the steps of my school.

"I remember going here, it was rather fun having friends as children." He reminisced with a fond gaze. I quickly pulled him inside and looked around, noticing a flock of people around the gymnasium area. Dad walked in front of me towards the crowd, while I slinked behind due to my fear of large crowds. I may like crowds when I'm showing off, but this definitely was not the time for that. Dad pushed through the crowd and stringed me along, eventually finding seats in the stand. I nervously clang to him, feeling overwhelmed by all of the people around me. He fiddled with his pockets before pulling out earplugs, placing them in my ears. The noise level decreased greatly, calming me down a lot. "Thanks dad." I mumbled and pressed my face against his shoulder. He wrapped his coat around me and pulled me closer. It felt nice to be soothed by my dad, I wish he could comfort me this way all of the time.

We waited quietly for the people to gather and for the principal to speak. I couldn't hear what Principal Bump said in his speech, but I saw everyone's shocked reactions. I carefully removed my earplugs and looked up at my father. "What happened?" I asked and he rubbed my shoulder. "He told us what we have to do to remove our coven seals and fight against Belos." He whispered. I nodded and held up my earplugs. "Can I keep wearing them?" I asked and he nodded, kissing my cheek. I put the earplugs back in and close my eyes, deciding to nap on dad's shoulder.