Chapter Six, I Hear You

(I know canonically we now know Rascal is called Flapjack and all of that other stuff, but I already started this book so-. I also know Edric's Palisman isn't a fox, but I actually like Ruru more-.)

Hunter's Perspective

I closely followed the pine-haired boy while holding his arm. The floorboards creaked as we walked on them, feeling as if they would give way at any moment. They were old and sort of soft, ready to drop with just a bit more strain. "Where do you think the power would be?" I asked and watched as Ruru hopped out of Ed's hands, scampering ahead. "Well I suppose Ruru knows-." Ed observed and pursued the running fox. I quickly followed him and yelped when my boot got caught on something and I fell. I landed face- first on the ground, dirtying my already disgusting blonde hair. Edric bent down and helped me up, dusting off the mess on my clothes. "Are you alright? Your nose is- it looks bad." He said with a concerned expression and tone. I did feel a stinging in my nose, but I didn't know it was visible. I reached up to touch it, but Edric stopped me quickly. "Don't touch it-. It's very bad. Hold still alright? Don't move the muscles near your nose at all." He instructed me and I nervously nodded, allowing him to lightly touch my injured nose.

His hand felt delicate, and didn't hurt. It glowed brightly and the flood of light swept across my face, dusting my cheeks with a golden hue. The nagging pain in my nose started to calm down and fade away as his hand continued to glow. "I'm not very good at healing flesh wounds like Emira, but I did learn how to numb pain and somewhat set bones straight.. It only fractured a little, you'll be ok. This might hurt a bit through." He told me right before an audible snap occurred. I tense up as my nose burned fiercely with sudden harsh pain. It stopped after a few moments, and I felt blood trickle out of my nose. "Oops- yeah, I'm sorry about that. Like I said, I'm not good at the flesh part.. It'll heal on its own after a bit, just don't mess with it okay? I put a little enchantment on it so that the bone will stay in place, but the flesh healing around it will get messed up if you try and rub it or something." He explained and wiped away the pained tears on my cheeks.

I leaned into his touch and relaxed at the warm sensation. "No one's ever healed me before..." I mumbled and he furrowed his brows. "What? Never? You can't be serious." He said in disbelief. I shrugged and placed my hand on his. "I guess I've never been forced to take care of myself.. So I didn't. Even when I was bleeding really bad, or if I was super sick and needed medicine." I said calmly and he sighed. "Well.. You aren't malnourished or anything are you? You at least fed yourself, right?" He asked worriedly and gripped my hand. I was a bit startled by his concern and pulled my head away. "Um... Well i eat when I'm hungry, which isn't that often.. I usually have breakfast at least. And dinner.. sometimes." I mumbled the last part and nervously glanced at the heavily concerned boy. His beautiful caramel eyes were reflecting a pool of distressed emotions. Why does he care about me at all? I didn't do anything for him, in fact I'm in his debt.

"... Listen, maybe after this storm, we could think about maybe staying back at my home for a little while? Just so you can get better.. Y'know, your nose and all." He said as a roundabout excuse and I exhaled tiredly. I knew exactly what he was getting at, and though it was tempting, I really couldn't do that right now. I have to track down Rascal and Raine, for the sake of my sanity at the very least. But he looked so worried, I've never had someone act like this. Well.. aside from Willow, but even she wasn't nearly as insistent to help me. "I.. I guess..." i responded hesitantly and watched his face light up with a big relief. "I'm sure you'll love it Hunter. And you can meet Emira. My.. better half I guess." He muttered and let go of my hand. "Anyways, let's get to that power. Ruru!" He yelled and continued pursuit of his fox friend. I stepped over the broom I had tripped over before and followed the green haired boy. He ran down the stairs into a very dark basement, one that felt very moist and cold just from the top of the stairs. I hesitantly followed him, every instinct in my head telling me this was dangerous.

My skin tingled and my bones chilled as I descended down into the basement, following the dim light Edric was emitting. The ground under my feet felt squishy and muddy, almost swampy. It made me feel even more unsettled, knowing my feet could easily get stuck in this thick but moist caking mud on my boots. I immediately froze when I heard a terrifying noise. There was a whisper. From the far off corner in the vast and strange main room of the basement. My body stayed paralyzed with fear, shaking greatly as my muscles spasmed with indecisiveness. I managed to just barely get out a "help!" while I quaked in place. I was absolutely mortified with the idea that something was there. It was there, and I couldn't even see it. The light Edric emitted followed back to me, and he gently rubbed my arm. "Hey, what's going on Hunter? Why are you so scared?" He asked and I took a shaky breath. Every bone in my body wanted to flee, but I was so trapped. "I-I heard- there was a voice-." I squeaked out and managed to move enough to cling to the witch in front of me.

Both of us audibly gasped when the whisper slipped out from the darkness again. Without even a word of panic, Edric yanked me from my frozen position and bolted out of the room. I didn't even have time to react before we were upstairs and Edric had sealed the door shut with a panicked spell. He then carried my paralyzed form to the living room and slowly set me down on the old dusty couch. He panted heavily and held my hand to comfort me. "Hey, hey Hunter you have to breathe. Come on, open your mouth. Just.. Take a breath with me okay?" He told me and started to take a deep breath. I took a very shaky breath and started to return to a semi-normal pant. "There we go, that's better.." he said and his bag shook, a startled Ruru popping out. She hopped into my lap and hid, shaking like a leaf. I guess she was scared too, she heard the whisper. That's going to haunt my dreams for years. After a bit of controlled breathing, my pounding heart started to settle down.

"Okay- lesson learned, never ever go in a dark creepy basement- ever-." He said with a hint of what I assumed was supposed to be humor. I shakily hugged him and hid my face in his neck, not really feeling the humor. "It's okay Hunter.. We're safe now. I promise." He whispered and I nodded, taking another deep breath. Every noise that I heard was now associated with that whisper. I felt like I was in constant danger mode, like I would die. I am so thankful that Edric didn't freeze up, and saved both of our sorry behinds. I was still quaking like a tremor, afraid that thing would somehow get me. No way was I sleeping tonight. Though I was at least safe in Edric's arms, which comforted me greatly. I knew he could protect me.