3: new friends or new threats?

dan had never run so fast in his life. he wasn't the most athletic boy either so he was always really bad at running.
he literally ranked last place out of his entire school in their annual fitness exam!

but when two blood thirsty vampires are out to hunt you, it should be fact to stop at nothing.

deep in the woods though, kouzo had run out of breath.. so much for that. he grabbed onto a tree as he bent down slightly to wheeze and cough.

"man.. that was.." he said between panting. "that was.. crazy.. b-but i.. i think we lost them, right.. drago..?" he looked up when he thought he had enough breath only to see his partner was no where in sight. "drago?"

at his absence, dan thought the worst. he panicked and grabbed the sides of his hair. "oh no! i must have left him behind with those weirdo vampires.. this cannot be happening right now!" dan gasped. "what if they've gotten to him? what if they suck his blood?!" he stopped when he realized that was a silly thought. "wait a minute.. do bakugan even have blood?.. augh! that's a stupid thing to be thinking about right now dan, i need to go back-!" he made way to run back but not even a step forward and he heard something that caused him to pause.

close by, he heard the sound of a bakugan's roar followed by a loud thud. he also made out some shouting. dan recognized the amalgamation of those noises well. someone was training.

kouzo then opted to check it out. it can't hurt to just see even for a little. "mm.. drago can take care of himself!" he shrugged and turned to head off to the noise.

the source was coming deeper in the woods where a large clearing stood perfect for bakugan battling and the brawler in the middle of training knew that well. he was a fairly tall pale boy with long jet black hair that had a small part that stuck out at the top. he dawned a purple half mask wearing a dark cloak wrapped around him like a cape and a blue undershirt under it along with purple gloves, black boots and black jeans with chains looped around like a belt.

the mysterious brawler's partner was a two headed darkus dragon dan had never seen before. the red streaked brunette decided to stick around and hide by ducking behind a bush and watching in awe.

"nillious! focus all your energy and use darkus blast!" the trainer ordered with the raise of his hand.

the bakugan obliged and sent the instructed attack to their very powerful opponent. which was a tree.

the state of the tree though was slightly bent, to the degree of nearly falling and that showed how long they've been going at it which impressed the team's red streaked observer.

"i feel like we're close.. i can feel it!" the ravenette mumbled peaking kouzo's interest. what could he mean? were they trying to achieve something? beside trying to snap that tree in half of course..

"one more time nillious! and give it everything you've got!"

again, the bakugan named nillious blasted the tree with its darkus energy only this time they didn't hold back and gave it all their might. and suddenly, a bakucore lit up to life on the hexagonal ground beside the cloaked brawler's feet. the boy kneeled down in front of it and instead of picking it up, he placed his palm against it and began to- what looked like- focus all his energy against it. he yelled as his bakugan continued to blast against the tree and the core began to light up and spark bright electric bolts around his hand.

the brunette gasped in amazement. all the time he spent with bakugan and he had never seen anything like it! this boy must have been seriously special.

"alright nillious, here we go!" he flung the new bakucore at his partner who began to feel its effects. " darkus evolution!.. hyper nillious!"

the two headed bakugan roared as it began to evolve, its wings expanded and their claws sharpened and when their transformation was complete: it was left with one head and the purple around its body changed to green.

"woah.. i had no idea bakugan could evolve.." the pyrus hero gasped.

the brawler continued and rose his hand again.
"nova mode, let's go!" the bakugan covered itself in light and alternated to a different version slightly different than the other. if dan had to guess - this was the other head.. as weird as that sounded.. but that wasn't the weirdest thing he's seen all day.

"and.. nova blast!" the green and dark evolved form roared and blasted the tree with a new powerful wave of energy. one more hit at that tree was a goner! "now for shadow mode!" the bakuagn obeyed and switched back to its first form now surrounded by dark energy. "fly up into the air and use shadow breath!"

shadow nillious roared and flew up feet above the tree and attacked it with all it could. the blast left behind an array of smoke but once it cleared, the tree was snapped into two.

dan gasped in amazement and the mysterious boy pumped his fist in victory. he ran up to his bakugan once he was on the ground again. "it looks like we've mastered hyper evolution. we could use a little more training to fully understand your modes though.." he said. "how are you feeling?"

"we.. feel great." the bakugan replied in a raspy echoed voice. kind of like if two bakugan were speaking at the same time. it made since, since the bakugan possessed two heads. "there's so much energy bubbling inside us i've never felt before.. imagine what we could do with all this power..?"

the tall boy smiled.
"we'll be able to do so much nillious.. but, this isn't even the beginning of it."

"wow are you for real?! that was seriously amazing!" without a thought in the consequences, dan was suddenly right by the boy and his awesome evolved bakugan. gawking at the greatness of it all. there were stars in his eyes it startled the new found stranger. "it's so cool! i had no idea bakugan could evolve! and you say that's just the beginning? are there more evolved forms?! oh my gosh, you have to show me how to do that because.. wow! and your bakugan is so cool!! she..? he.. they?? i dunno!! nillious is just seriously AWESOME they totally obliterated that tree!" dan gasped and grabbed the elder's shoulders who widened his eyes in surprise. he shook him in his fit of excitement. "we should battle sometime! haha, drago would be so amazed! and i'd be so honored."

"rrg, get off me!" the taller growled and pushed the star struck kid off him. "who are you anyway and where did you come from?"

"oh yeah, i forgot to introduce myself," the brown haired chuckled and rubbed his neck. "i'm dan. dan kouzo, and a little while ago me and my bakugan drago fell through a weird portal and these creepy vampire guys wanted to suck my blood, but i got away, and i lost my friend but then i-"

"wait a minute, wait a minute!" the elder stopped him from babbling on again and this time it was him who grabbed his shoulders. "you fell through a portal?"

"yeah. weird, huh? i have no idea how it happened. i was battling this big bug bakugan and all of the sudden-"

"so you're not from here?"

"..no." dan suddenly felt uneasy about this guy too, the way he eyed him down menacingly and now he was squeezing his shoulders trapping him from getting away. kind of like those vampires that were after him.. "h-hey.. you're hurting me.."

"so. you're a human."

it didn't dawn on dan that maybe this boy was one of them too because he didn't notice his sharp fangs until now. he gulped. and the mysterious vampire brawler simply clicked his tongue.