14: dan's house

when dan arrived home, mrs kouzo was in the kitchen finishing up the night's dinner.
''hi mom, im home." her son said as he peeked his head into the kitchen.

the curly haired mom smiled at the voice of her son. she turned around and embraced him once he walked up to her.

"hey danny,'' she greeted him warmly with a kiss on the forehead which caused the younger to giggle. "how was your day today? did my little boy cause any trouble, drago?"

drago chuckled nervously. "well.."

"he's just kidding ,mom!" dan laughed, albeit sternly. drago took it at a sign not to say anything more.

"my day was great actually! I made a new friend.. he was interesting.." dan could always trust telling his parents about everything and them not asking too many questions. the two preferred to stay out of dan's social life, they thought it'd help in making their son independent to venture the world alongside his friends and not his mom and dad.

"oh well, that isn't much of a surprise." dan's mom smiled before reaching over and pinching his cheek lovingly. "my little boy is just so friendly! who wouldn't wanna be his friend?" there were of course, times when they'd coddle him a lot.

and dan loved it. "ahaha, mom, stop!" the boy giggled, grabbing onto his mom's wrist lightly.

barbara chuckled back and let him go.

"sorry danny. you know your mother can be crazy sometimes." she giggled before turning back to the stove. "but that's great news! I'm sure I'll meet that new friend of yours soon."

at those words dan remembered that wouldn't be possible. he sighed quietly and rubbed his arm. "yeah.. real soon."

she smiled, not noticing her son's sadness due to being preoccupied with dinner. she didn't even turn around. "now then, why don't you two get the table ready. your father will be home any minute."

"okay mom.''

"yes mrs kouzo."

and so dan walked to one of the cupboards and took out three glass plates while drago took out three forks. the red streaked handed his mom the plates and she served the dinner which was spaghetti and a side dish of steamed vegetables. once the food was all served dan set all the plates on the dinner table in their usual spots. his parents next to eachother and him at the end of the table next to his dad. drago set the forks by each plate and their work there was done.

"another successful setup if I do say so myself." dan said setting his hands proudly at his hips. when drago flew by his side the boy looked over at him, yet another thought crossing his mind. "do you think magnus helps his parents set up the dinner table..?" he asked in a whisper before changing his mind remembering who was talking about here. "nah he's royalty, his castle probably has little vampire servants who do it for them."

suddenly the door opened followed by a familiar voice. "family, i'm home!" mr kouzo happily called out. he walked into the kitchen with his usual greeting, walking up to mrs kouzo first and planting a kiss on her cheek. "hello, wife." he giggled, looking down at the pan of food. "ooh, that looks good. how'd you know spaghetti is my favorite!?"

"everything I make is your favorite, bill." she laughed.
"well what can I say? my wife's a good chef!" he then walked over to dan who was pouring orange juice into a cup for himself.

"and there's my little champion and his even smaller dragon ball best friend." he chuckled, bringing dan into an embrace who laughed and set the jug of orange juice down. "don't tell my other children but.. your my favorite son, dan-o."

"I'm your only son, dad." dan laughed.

"and that's the joke!"

the two shared a laugh, funny since he'd told that exact joke so many times but to dan and his father - it never seemed to grow old. bill then let dan go and walked over to wash his hands as he spoke about his work day to his lovely wife.