five

Zoya decided to take advanced potions with Hermione for her sixth year. She was reluctant to do so, but Hermione was quite persuasive when she wanted to be.

Professor Slughorn was going on about a potion, that of which Zoya wasn't paying much mind to due to other thoughts clouding her head. She was brought out of thought when she heard Slughorn say, "Ah, Harry, my boy, I was beginning to worry. We've brought someone with us, I see."

"Ron Weasley, sir." Ron said with a bright smile, "But I'm dead awful at Potions, a menace, actually. I'm just gonna–" Ron said as he tried to back out.

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine." Slughorn replied, "Get your books out."

"Sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron."

Slughorn pointed to a cupboard, "Not to worry. Get what you want from the cupboard. Now, as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?"

Hermione's hand shot up and he called on her, "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth telling serum." She said as Zoya watched Harry and Ron fight over something in the cupboard. They pulled apart and Ron wacked Harry lightly with the book, "And that one... terribly tricky to make. And this is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." Hermione started as she walked up to the potion. It began to turn green as she stood over it, "For example I smell freshly mown grass and new parchment and spearmint toothpaste." She said, her face flushing red as she backed up to stand by Zoya.

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love, that'd be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Slughorn said as he put the lid over the potion.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." A fellow Gryffindor girl said.

Slughorn walked over to a small potion hanging from a metal bar. He unscrewed it and held it up, "Ah, yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly referred to as..."

"Liquid luck." Hermione chimed in.

"Yes, Miss Granger. Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavors succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So, this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains manages to brew an acceptable draft of Living Death. Recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. You should not doubt however: Only once did a student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this price. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."

Zoya didn't do much. She mostly pretended to be reading when Slughorn would pass by, but other than that, she sat there and did nothing. Hermione's hair grew the size it was during their first year, Ron was confused, and Harry seemed to be making the potion successfully.

By the time he was finished, Slughorn dropped a small leaf into the potion and it burned up in the potion, "Merlin's beard. It's perfect. So perfect I dare say one drop would kill us all." Slughorn said as he handed Harry the potion, "Here we are, then, as promised. One vial of Felix Felicis. Congratulations. Use it well."

It was quite obvious that Hermione was bothered that Harry beat her at the task.

Later that night, Zoya sat on one of the couches in the Gryffindor common room while people around her visited and listened to music. She had a letter in her hand, from none other than Fred Weasley.

Harry walked into the common room, taking a seat on the couch next to her, "How are you?"

"Fine." She replied, her eyes glued to the letter.

"That's from Fred?"

She nodded, "Yes."

"You two haven't?..."

Zoya shook her head and carefully closed the letter, "No. This is just another apology letter, if you even want to call it that."

"Are you gonna do Quidditch this year?" Harry eagerly asked a bit louder than he meant to. Zoya glanced over at him and he said quieter, "I mean, you should... you're one of the best players..."

"I don't think I will this year, I'm sorry." Zoya said, "But I'll be cheering you on."

"Thanks."

Zoya stood up, "I'm gonna go take a walk."

Harry quickly stood up, "Do-do you want me to with you?"

She shook her head, "No, I'd rather be alone."

Zoya walked out of the common room, and headed for the library. She had to pick up a few books for classes, and figured it would be a good distraction.

The distraction only lasted 15 minutes. She realized that being in a room full of loud music and yelling Gryffindors was a better way to push out her thoughts about Fred rather than roaming a quiet library alone. After checking out her books, Zoya made her way back to her dorm.

She wrote Fred back in a letter, and sent it off with Hedwig, who Harry was graciously letter her use due to the fact that her Owl passed away.

Zoya hated this. She wasn't even a week into the new year and she knew it was going to be horrible. Not having Fred around truly made her realize how much she loved he would poke and whisper in her ear when she was trying to study, and how he would always have to be touching her whenever they were together.

The Gryffindor couches felt colder now that he wasn't there to cuddle with, and the idea of Quidditch just didn't sound fun.

She hated him partly because of this. He was a big part of what made her life fun and exciting, and the only way she could only reach him was through letters until they would see one another in Hogsmeade, whenever that would be.