thirty

Christmas break came quickly. Zoya and Hermione both skipped the Gryffindor Christmas party that took place the night before everyone left, and they were grateful for their decision when they were not dealing with a hangover on the train ride.

Zoya walked into her bedroom, putting her bags down. She looked at the moving photographs on the walls, smiling lightly at one of her and Fred.

"I'm sorry about your breakup, darling." Her mother, Nhan, said from her doorway.

"He's coming to my party. There's a chance we could get back together." Zoya hopefully said, turning to him, "D-Do you think that's what he wants? I don't know, sometimes I never know what Fred will say or do."

Nhan sat down on her bed, "Well, since he broke your heart, he's already going to be getting an earful from me."

"Dad." Zoya groaned with embarrassment, "Don't."

"Your father is not scary, Zoya. Do you honestly think he will?" Her mother, Kimma, said in a thick Irish accent as she walked into her bedroom.

"I can be scary!" Nhan said.

Kimma put her hand on her hip and turned to Nhan, "Go on then. Show me the face you'll make when you try to threaten the lad."

Nhan made a horribly awkward threatening face, making Zoya and Kimma laugh lightly. His face then contorted into laughter, matching the two.

Kimma walked to Zoya and put her hand on her shoulder, "Don't worry, darling. If he hurts you again, I'll beat him up. I can now that he's 18 and it won't be considered child abuse."

"Yeah, because now it's considered assault. Not sure if that's better..."

"Kimma, you're setting a horrible example." Nhan said as he stood up, "Zoya, violence is never the answer."

She nodded mockingly, "Oh, for sure."

The 21st quickly approached. Zoya and Hermione were in her room, already dressed for the party. Zoya, who was dressed in a deep blue party dress, was pacing up and down her bedroom.

"Zoya, you're starting to make me nervous." Hermione said, "Relax a little."

She fanned her neck, "Bloody hell, I'm starting to sweat. Do I look alright?"

"You look amazing." Hermione encouragingly said, "It's your birthday! Don't let anyone get you down, especially not Fred. He'll show up and you two will ride off into the sunset together." She said with light sarcasm in her voice.

She took a deep breath, "Okay, you're right."

Everyone arrived to Zoya's home one by one. Harry and Ron arrived together, followed by Estella, Aurora, George, Molly, Arthur, and Ginny.

Luca, Neville, and Luna arrived 15 minutes after them, and the majority of the Order also came. Christmas lights were glistening around and outside of he home, creating a comforting and magical atmosphere.

Friends of her parent's also showed up, asking how Zoya was as she thought back to Fred. She glanced out of the window, seeing nothing but falling snow. She pushed back her anxious thoughts, "He'll be here." She said to herself quietly.

From across the home, Kimma, Nhan, Althena, and Remus were all standing by a bookshelf feeling slightly gloomy.

"It's strange." Kimma said, "It's just us left." She sadly said, glancing over to a moving photograph of a house party that took place right after the Marauders all graduated. Everyone had bright smiles without a care in the world.

"I remember when Aurora was born. I was pacing the room thinking I failed my potions exam and Lily was trying desperately to calm me down when you stormed into the room saying it's here." Nhan said, glancing to Remus, who had a soft smile.