twenty-five

I was always infatuated with him, your father. Your mother would always write to me during her first year, and in every letter, she would dedicate at least a page to him.

The picture she painted of him was enough to make anyone fall for him. They met in Herbology. The two were partnered up, and when he finally looked at her for the first time, the first words he said to her were 'I love you.'

She responded to him by asking him to pass her the Wormwood.

I met him during my first year and their second year. I fell in love with him so quickly, and I tried to ignore it thinking I was a little girl who fell in love at the sight of any boy she thought was cute. But the feeling never passed, it only grew stronger the older we got and the more I got to know him.

It was during my second year that I was going to muster up the courage to tell him my feelings when my sister pulled me aside in an empty classroom and told me she just had her first kiss with him and that they were dating.

From then on, I kept my feelings to myself.

I never escaped him, though. The older we got, the more parties we went to and the more Diana did not. She was everything I wasn't, and I was everything she wasn't. I went to the parties. I kissed who I wanted to pass the time, I was the one who would gladly indulge recklessness.

They broke up a week before the end of their sixth year. On the last party of the year, Sirius and I very drunkenly made out in a broom closet. I remembered it clearly the next day even though I was more hungover than I had ever been.

What I did not expect, was for him to remember it as well.

1977

Althena said her last goodbyes to her co-workers at the muggle boutique that she worked at before stepping out into the warm, July air.

To be specific, it was the first of July. School hadn't even been out two days.

She walked down the street, passing by various shops and drunk groups of people. She heard the low rumbling sound of an engine behind her. A motorcycle slowly rolled up beside her and Althena stopped in her tracks as she faced with with a quizzical expression.

Sirius had no helmet, but that didn't stop him from whipping his hair out of his face. He turned to her with a smirk, "Wanna take a ride?"

Her legs carried her faster than her brain could process. She got on the motorcycle, settling herself behind him. He shrugged off his leather jacket and turned to put it around her shoulders. She shrugged it on, and he brought his hand to the back of her neck and pulled her in for a kiss.

When he pulled apart from her, his grey eyes settled into her brown ones for a few passing moments before turning back and speeding down the street. Althena wrapped her arms around his waist, holding him tightly as she laid her head on her back.

She closed his eyes as he sped down open backroads, relishing the feeling of the wind breaking through her skin.

That night he took me to an open field with a breathtaking view of the stars. We didn't talk about Diana. We didn't talk about the kiss we shared. I thought about it, but I was so entranced with him that I would have done just about anything to keep him looking at me.

"This is quite the view." Althena said as she heard the sound of a lighter behind her.

The strong smell of cigarette smoke filled her senses as Sirius sat down in the field next to her.