twenty-nine

The night of Slughorn's Christmas party, which was half a week before Christmas break, rolled around quickly.

Hermione was putting on her earrings when Zoya received a letter from Hedwig at her window. She took it eagerly and the owl flew away.

"From Fred?" Hermione asked.

She nodded and she tore the letter open, smiling brightly, "He'll be there, at my party."

After Zoya and Hermione got ready, The two linked arms and walked out of the Gryffindor common room, "So, you're taking McLaggen."

Hermione quickly turned to her, "How'd you know?"

"It was obvious. I'll be praying to Merlin for you tonight. I admire your will to make Ron jealous."

Hermione sighed, "I'm already regretting it."

The two parted ways at the end of the hallway where the common room entrance was. Zoya met Harry in the hallway where the party was taking place.

"You look nice." He commented as she walked to him.

"As do you. Nice cloak." She said.

He smiled lightly, "Thanks. Ready?"

She nodded and the two walked to the party together. As soon as the two walked in, Slughorn whisked Harry away into a conversation. He gave Zoya an apologetic smile as he was pulled into a group of people.

She walked around the room, looking up at the curtains that seemed to have a light behind them, making an ethereal like setting. She found Luca and Luna, who were in a corner having a conversation.

Luca whore a blue suit with a baby pink tie that matched Luna's dress. She walked up to them, "Hi, Zoya. You look very pretty." Luna said.

"As do you two." She said, "Enjoying the party?"

The two gave one another a look, and she took that as a no. The two spoke for over 20 minutes. Every time Zoya turned to Harry, he was still stuck in conversation, pretending to be invested in whatever the other people were talking about.

Zoya left the conversation when she saw that Harry escaped his.

"Having fun?" She asked.

"I am now." He replied as Neville walked up to the two in a white dress jacket and a plate of drinks.

"Drink?" Neville asked the two.

Zoya's smile faltered, "Neville? Why on Earth are you not enjoying the party like some of us?" She asked.

"I didn't get into the Slug Club." He bashfully replied, "It's okay, though. He's got Belby handing out towels in the loo." He said.

"Oh, well, I'm fine, mate." Harry said as Zoya took a drink for herself.

"Thank you." She said as Neville walked away.

She took a sip of what turned out to be champagne, "This isn't too bad, Harry. You're missing out."

He nudged her, nodding his head in the direction of curtains leading out of the room. They saw Hermione hugging her body as she looked around anxiously.

Zoya quickly walked back up to Neville and swiped a drink from the plate before following Harry out of the curtains.

"Hermione? What are you doing? And what happened to you?" Harry asked her as Zoya handed her the drink.

"No, I've just escaped." She said while taking a sip of the drink, "I mean, I left Cormac under the mistletoe." She said, making Zoya choke on her drink as she stifled a laugh.

"Cormac? That's who you invited?" Harry asked with a scoff.

Hermione looked between the two worriedly, "I thought it would annoy Ron the most. He's got more tentacles than a Snarfalump plant."

A server stepped out of the curtains to them, "Dragon tartare?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you." Harry replied while the other two only shook their heads.

"Just as well. They give one horribly bad breath." The server replied.

Hermione shoved her drink back to Zoya as she grabbed a few dragon tartares, "On second thought..." She said, taking the entire plate from the server, "Might keep Cormac at bay." She said as she saw Cormac approach them, "Oh, God, here he comes."

Hermione escaped through the curtains just as Cormac walked up to the them through the curtains.

"I think she just went to powder her nose." Zoya said with a fake apologetic smile.

"Slippery little minx, your friend." He said, "Likes to work her mouth too, doesn't she?" He asked. Zoya and Harry glared at him as he ate dragon tartare, "What is it that I'm eating, anyways?"

"Dragon balls." Harry replied.

Cormac's head snapped to him as Snape walked through the curtains, looking at the three suspiciously. Cormac then threw up on Snape's shoes as Harry and Zoya stepped back lightly, trying to hide their laughter.

"You've just bought yourself a month's detention, McLaggen." Snape said as Harry and Zoya tried to escape through the curtains, "Not so quick, you two."

Zoya downed Hermione's drink and shoved it into Cormac's hands before going to stand by Harry in front of Snape.

"Sir, I really think we should rejoin the party, our friends–" Harry started.

"Can surely survive you two's absence for another minute or two." Snape finished, "Besides, I only wish to convey a message."

"A message?" Harry questioned.

"From Professor Dumbledore. He asked me to give you his best, and he hopes you enjoy your holiday." Snape said mostly to Harry, "You see, he's traveling, and he won't return until term resumes."

"Traveling where?" Harry asked.

Snape ignored their question, and walked off without another word. The party was quickly interrupted by Filch dragging Draco into the room, "Take your hands off me, you filthy Squib!" Draco yelled, pulling out of his grasp.

"Professor Slughorn, sir. I just discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party."

"Okay, okay. I was gatecrashing." Draco rushed out.

Snape walked up to Draco and Filch, "I'll escort him out."

"Certainly, professor." Draco said, walking out of the room with Professor Snape.

Zoya and Harry looked at one another, and silently walked out of the room together. They walked down a small and dark corridor that was by a large hallway outside of where the party was taking place.

"Maybe I did hex that Bell girl. Maybe I didn't. What's it to you?" Draco asked.

They heard loud shuffling, seemingly the sound of Snape pushing Draco up against a wall, "I swore to protect you." Snape hissed, "I made the Unbreakable Vow."

"I don't need protection." Draco fired back, "I was chosen for this. Out of all the others. Me. And I won't fail him."

"You're afraid, Draco. You attempt to conceal it, but it's obvious. Let me assist you."

"No! I was chosen. This is my moment."