nineteen

Breakfast the next morning at Hogwarts was quiet. Zoya sat next to Hermione, across from Harry. Ron was at the end of the table snogging Lavender Brown to everyone's distain.

"Hey, Kien, heard you got dumped in Three Broomsticks." Pansy Parkinson said as her friends giggles as they walked by their table.

"About a week late on that news." She fired back, "Where's Malfoy?"

Her smile quickly faltered, and she turned her head and continued to walk with her friends to the Slytherin table. She took a sip of her tea as Harry looked at her nervously. She caught his eyes, and she stiffened up as she put her cup down.

Over a week later, the three plus Luca walked in the library together as Hermione went on about Ron, "He's at perfect liberty to kiss whoever he likes. I really couldn't care less." Hermione said as she put a book away, "Was I under the impression he and I would be attending Slughorn's Christmas party together? Yes. Now, given the circumstances, I've had to make other arrangements." Hermione said with a huff as she handed Luca a book for him to put away on a shelf that she couldn't reach.

"Have you? Who are you going with?" Zoya asked. 

"Um, it's a surprise." Hermione responded vaguely, "Anyway, it's you two we've got to worry about. You guys can't just take anyone."

"Don't worry about me. I'm not taking anyone." Zoya replied as she leant up against a table.

Hermione stood next to Harry as she spoke lowly, "See that girl over there? That's Romilda Vane." Hermione said as the group turned to a girl sitting by a window. Romilda looked up at Harry with a smile, "Apparently she's trying to smuggle you a love potion."

"Really?" Both Zoya and Harry asked in union. 

Hermione snapped in Harry's face when he dazed off, "Hey! She's only interested in you because she thinks you're the Chosen One."

"But I am the Chosen One." Harry boastfully said. There was that smug smile again. Zoya and Luca both snickered as Hermione wacked Harry with a paper in her hand, "Okay, sorry. Um, kidding. I'll ask someone I like. Someone cool." He said as his eyes flickered over to Zoya. 

"Luca? Who are you taking?" Hermione asked. 

"Probably Luna. She's really the only friend I've got other than you guys." He replied. 

Only a day later, Harry found Zoya alone reading a book in the Gryffindor common room by the fire. He sat down next to her, "Hi."

She looked up from her book, "Hello."

They were quiet for a few seconds. And then, at the same time, the two spoke up. They chuckled nervously, "You go." Harry said.

She put her book down and faced him, "I know you have a thing for me, I've actually known for quite a long time. And..." She took a deep breath, "I'm not over Fred, not even in the slightest. I want you to know now because it wouldn't be fair of me to just lead you on."

He rested his hands on his knees, "I understand. I shouldn't have leapt on you the way I did."

She shook her head softly with a playful smile, "You were a good kisser, though."

He looked at her and he chuckled lightly, "Really?"

"Really." She confirmed as he blushed red.

He shifted on the couch so he was facing her fully, "D-Do you wanna go to the Christmas Party with me? Just as friends, and I swear I won't kiss you again."

"Sure." She simply said. 

He nodded, "Great. So... are we cool?"

"Always were."

"Harry!" Ron called after him from across the room. 

Harry craned his neck to Ron before turning back to Zoya, "Well, I guess I'll see you around."

He got up and walked over to Ron, and Zoya got up from her spot to head to her dorm. She walked in, finding Hermione finishing homework at her small desk.

"Are you really going to go alone?" She asked. 

"Actually, no." Zoya said. 

She slowly turned to her, "Who are you going with?"

"Harry just asked me."

Hermione stood up, "Like? As a date date or just friends?"

"Just friends." Zoya casually said as she took off her jacket, "Though I think I should tell you that we kissed after the Quidditch match a while back."

She gasped, "WHAT?! I told him to leave you alone! That... that wanker!"

Zoya plopped down on her bed, "Relax, 'Mione. He apologized and we're cool. Now, we don't need to speak of it ever again."

She sighed, "If you say so."