fourty-seven

Aurora walked among the shore of the Black Lake, a path she took over and over during her 6th year. 

She stopped by that all too familiar tree, the one she and Cedric Diggory would escape to. Aurora walked to it, and it's branches instantly parted for her to walk inside of. 

She felt encompassed by its warmth, a sense of security that she only felt when she was in the home her parents shared. She touched the engraving on the tree trunk.

D.V + S.B

She smiled softly, tracing her finger over the carving. 

"I always knew you'd become drawn to this place." McGonagall said from behind her, "It's hard to see why not."

"Cedric showed me this place. But something tell me I would have found it regardless. My mother enchanted this tree."

"In more ways than you realize." McGonagall realized, "Diana was very gifted, but her will was her biggest strength. She had a certain power that other students didn't have. Yet nonetheless, she never forgot to be kind."

"Is it possible to miss someone you have no memory of?" Aurora quietly asked. 

"Of course, dear."

She let go of a shaky breath, "If I didn't know better, I'd think she's standing right next to me." 

"Who's to say she isn't?" McGonagall questioned, "Just because you can't see her, does not mean she is gone. Don't take the feeling of her or Cedric DIggory or your father being around for something in your head."

"I think I really needed to hear that." Aurora quietly said. 

McGonagall glanced around the tree, which was charmed to be slightly bigger once inside, "I'm not sure if you were made aware, but your mother gave birth here."

She quickly turned to her, "What?"

"Well, many blankets and towels were placed down, of course. But your mother refused to be confined in four walls. She wanted the first things for you to see was her face, your father's face, and the natural beauty of the world."

"Were you there when I was born?" 

McGonagall nodded, "I had to listen to your parent's friends panicking. If I recall correctly, your father walked out of the tree as he too was beginning to panic to the point that he couldn't watch. Everyone then seemed to forget that they were also panicking, using their energy to yell at him for leaving your mother's side. It didn't take long for him to come back into here." She said, "The circumstances were not exactly ideal, but I still can say with full confidence that witnessing your birth is one of the greatest privileges I have had being a professor here. Witnessing a life coming into the world is not quite like anything else, especially when that child is born out of nothing but love. Your parents loved you dearly, Aurora. I did not take great joy in calling you by Lorelei Malfoy when you were my student." She said with light bitterness in her tone when she spoke her last sentence. 

Aurora let out a small chuckle, "I didn't know any of that."

McGonagall matched her soft smile, "There is much you still do not know. But I believe that might have to do with the fact that you never finished your studies."

Aurora went back to the St. Claire Manor after her conversation with McGonagall. 

When she walked into the living room, George shot up from his spot and pulled her in for a bone crushing hug. 

"You're going to give me a bloody heart attack one day, Aurora." He said before pulling back to check her face, "Are you hurt?"

She shook her head, avoiding his gaze, "No. I'm all right."

He tilted her head up, forcing her to look at him. He knew she was lying, it was a look he knew, so he waited for when they would be alone. 

He stepped to the side, keeping an arm around her waist. She looked at Remus's tired expression,  a pang of guilt going through her. He must have been up all night.

"Peter Pettigrew is dead. I killed him."

Everyone looked up at her in disbelief. Remus's expression was unreadable, and that struck fear in Aurora. The way he felt about his death was the only thing she cared about in the moment. 

Things went dead silent for a few moments. She looked at Romare, who's face was stained with tears. He knew of Sayaka's death.

"Did he put up a fight?" Remus quietly asked. 

"Hardly."

He stood up and walked to her, bringing her in for a hug. 

"You're alive. That's all I care about now." He said softly. 

"B–"

"No." He firmly said as they pulled apart, "What matters more is your wellbeing. You did the right thing."

"You're not angry I used the killing curse?"

"I can't say I'm happy about it." He replied. 

"You killed Sayaka." Romare said from his spot on the couch. 

She looked past Remus to him, "I'm sorry. It was the only way. Voldemort is more vulnerable than he's ever been now."

He sighed and rested his elbows on his knees as Margot rubbed his back softly, "I don't agree with you, there is always another way."

"Romare–"

"She's gone now." He said, cutting her off, "There's no point in starting an argument over it now. Flynn is gone now at the cost of–"

"Don't you dare try to put the blame on me." Aurora said in a raised tone.

"... his own actions." He said as he glanced up at her, "Stupid bastard, should've known better than to go off and do what he did." He sadly said, lowering his head. 

Aurora and George walked into her bedroom after the discussion. She sat on her bed, head lowered in shame. He sat down next to her, "Nothing is gonna change how much I love you." He said to her, "You did what you had to do, you're not a bad person."

"Sometimes I think you can read mind." Aurora replied, "You know, there's not much I'm certain of these days. Flynn told me not to trust anyone, even those I'm closest to... but I can't imagine not putting all of my trust in you. I've never felt more secure being vulnerable around you."

"I could say the same thing."

Aurora stood up and held out her hand, "I want to show you something."

"Don't you think you should get some sleep?"

"After this."

He took her hand, and she apparated him to the field that was blooming with bright flowers. The tree that stood tall and proud over her parent's grave looked as beautiful as ever.

She lead him inside of the home, "My dad left it to me." Aurora said as she glanced at a picture on the wall.

"I quite like it." He said as he looked around.

She showed him around the home, and the two stopped in the living room, "You can say no if you want and I'll understand but, I thought this wouldn't be a bad place to settle down in one day."

"Doesn't feel strange? The thought of living in the same place your mother was killed?"

Aurora shook her head, "No. Because I also know that countless memories have been made around these walls and in this field. There's no place I'd rather live, this would be a perfect home if you would want to–"

"I'd love to." He quickly said.

"Really?"

"Really."

"Of course it doesn't have to be now. I know the Joke Shop is still new and we're still young and figuring out our lives and we haven't even been together a full year but... I don't know. It just feels right."

"Well, what better reason do we need, then?"