thirty-nine

Although George's words calmed Aurora down, that didn't simmer her anger towards the Order.

She didn't know just what caused her outburst– nobody did.

"I think her seeing Narcissa again might have triggered some old emotions she pushed down." Margot said, "Growing up with Lucius Malfoy as your supposed father couldn't have been easy. Not to mention she's lost many important people in her life in under two years at such a young age."

"Okay, but there was no reason for her to take it out on all of us." Romare said as Maxwell rolled his eyes.

"You try being told that your entire life is a lie and your real mother was murdered when you were 2 years old by the Dark Lord and Peter Pettigrew and your father is a wrongfully convicted mass murderer who had an affair with their wife's sister." Maxwell said, making Romare's jaw drop slightly and Althena shift uncomfortably.

"Well, when you say it like that..."

Maxwell raised a brow and nodded lightly, "Perhaps you will find that taking a step back and observing will tell you more than you need to know."

"She can't close off Grimmauld Place... can she?" Romare asked.

"No." Remus said with a shake of his head, "Harry also owns that place now, and besides, she won't close it off to us. She only said that out of anger."

"I wouldn't put it past her, Remus." Althena said, lighting a cigarette.

"You thinking the worst of her is not helping this situation." He replied.

She took a drag, "I'm not thinking the worst of her. I'm thinking realistically. We all know how much she's lost recently, grief can be a very powerful motivator."

"What? Are you saying she'll go on a rampage?" Tonks questioned with a scoff, "I think she knows better than that."

"I don't think she's going to go searching for the killers of everyone she ever loved, but if she's faced with the opportunity..."

"She hesitated on killing Bellatrix and Lavinia. That's got to mean something." Margot spoke up, her voice full of concern.

"Aurora showed Lavinia mercy, and Lavinia returned the favor by torturing her for nine hours. I doubt next time they come in contact, Aurora will not be as forgiving."

After their conversation, Althena and Remus went back to 12 Grimmauld Place together. He took a deep breath as he sat down at the table where many meetings took place, looking over at the leather jacket that Aurora left. 

"What are we doing wrong, Althena?"

"I was just about to ask you that question." She replied, "Aurora has a lot more swarming in her head than she lets on."

"Remind you of someone?" 

She smiled lightly, "Don't compare her to her father or she might hex us both."

"She said it didn't bother her." Remus said, "I-I thought she liked being told how much she resembled him."

"She was probably saying that just to make you happy." Althena said, "But we're lucky there's someone who can calm her down. Margot said George went up to see her last night, she didn't hear any screaming or arguing."

He smiled faintly, "That's always a good sign."

The two went silent for a few beats. Gathering thoughts and thinking back to that night of Aurora's outburst, "We can only do so much, you and I. We aren't her parents, but we're the closest thing she has to them now. I suppose somewhat raising her and guiding her is good practice for when you eventually have a child."

Remus shook his head, "No no, that's not happening." He quietly said. 

She furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her head, "Why not? I know how much you adore babies and guiding children, hell, I remember how much joy you took in tutoring me in Defense Against the Dark Arts during school."

"A student is not your child. And the prospect of it is great to think about, having a family with Tonks, but... it's too dangerous. The risk of passing what I have onto my child, I wouldn't be able to live with that." He truthfully said. 

"I hear that's a myth, passing lycanthropy to a child. Don't punish yourself for something that isn't your fault, Remus. You deserve happiness just as much as everyone else." 

At the Malfoy Manor, Lord Voldemort stood at the head of a long dark table with Death Eaters sitting around it.

"We have a deserter." Bellatrix announced, "Flynn Miabello has not shown up to any meetings since December."

Voldemort looked at each and every person sitting at the table. He narrowed his glare on Lavinia, "Lavinia Black..." He said, "You know where he went, don't you? Tell me, what were you doing at the St. Claire Manor?"

"I wanted Aurora Black dead. So I followed Flynn there–"

"And you didn't think to bring this up to me?" He questioned, "This makes me question your loyalty."

"My loyalty is to you, my Lord."

He stared at her for a few passing moments before adverting his gaze amongst everyone else, "I order you not to attack the St. Claire Manor, for it is far too valuable and much too protected to attack."

"But, my Lord, if you–"

"Silence!" Voldemort hissed at Lavinia, "Should you find Aurora Black, you are to kill her and never return here." He said firmly to Lavinia, "Or, you will join your brother in the sea."

Lavinia's blood rushed cold. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.