Chapter Sixteen: Light As A Feather

After Adira agrees to watch over the campsite, Varian and Abhu (along with Ruddiger) set out following Hugo through the nearby woods. Eugene waves them off, leaning against a tree. Cassandra never comes out of her tent; Varian wonders if she is even aware that they have a new party member.

     A new party member that he is still unsure about. "Where are you taking us?" He asks Hugo, being careful to avoid the tree roots poking out of the ground.

     "You'll see soon enough, Freckles," Hugo replies, ducking under a low-hanging branch.

     "I can't believe we're really gonna trust this guy," Abhu whispers to Varian.

     "For once, I agree with you," Varian whispers back. "But right now, we don't really have a choice."

     "Ah-ah-ah, no whispering!" Hugo announces

     "Ah-ah-ah, no whispering!" Hugo announces. "Rule numéro uno, All Conversation Must Be Heard By All!"

     Varian chuckles derisively. "Um, yeah... You don't get to make rules here."

     "Oh really?" Hugo replies with a smug smirk. "Who's leading whom?"

     "Currently, you are only a means to an end," Varian says. "Don't push it."

     Hugo rolls his eyes, and continues trailing through the foliage. "Whatever. But soon enough, you'll change your tune."

     After what feels like hours to Varian, they arrive... at a dead end. A gigantic rock formation blocks their path, towering above them.

     "Here we are!" Hugo announces proudly.

     Varian and Ruddiger exchange confused glances, while Abhu sighs in agitation

     Varian and Ruddiger exchange confused glances, while Abhu sighs in agitation. "Don't tell me we have to climb that thing..." Abhu says.

     "And what if I said we did?" Hugo says.

     "Then I'd say, forget it and forget you!" Abhu spins around on his heels, heading back in the direction of the campsite.

     "Hey, hey," Hugo says, running in front of Abhu to stop him. "Don't get all bent out of shape, Achoo. It was only a joke."