Chapter Thirty-Eight: Letter

While Varian and Hugo are gone, Cassandra sits down with a pencil and paper. She knows Rapunzel and Eugene's anniversary is nearing, and she wants to write them a letter like she has every year. Just this once, she thought she might be there to celebrate with them. Not only was she unable to make it to their wedding, but she has missed every anniversary since. However, it looks like this one will be no different than before.

     With Abhu otherwise occupied (what he is doing, she doesn't know nor does she care), she begins to scribble words onto the paper:

Dear Rapunzel,
(And Fitzherbert)

Happy anniversary! I'm sorry I couldn't be there... again. But knowing how well you two are doing is enough to keep me going. I'll shoot for attending the celebration next year.

It has already so long since we were in Corona. When we left, I didn't realize how crazy an adventure this would turn out to be. It reminds me of the old days, Raps, except I've traded you in for Varian. He has been a... slight aggravation to deal with. But he has also been extremely helpful. He believes the mission we have set out on will lead to answers that can free his father. I, on the other hand, am not so convinced. But I can't argue with the results his research has yielded. His alchemy and big brain keep coming through in unexpected ways. He—

She stops, and reads over what she has written. She groans once she discerns how much she is writing about Varian. There is nothing in the letter about how rude Abhu has been, or how surprisingly useful Hugo has been.

Why do all of her thoughts seem to gravitate back to that skinny, freckle-faced dork?! Frustrated, she crumples up the letter and tosses it on the ground. She leans back, and decides to use this rare moment of peace and quiet to take a nap. If the guys are successful in inventing a way to make it rain, then she'll need her energy for whatever they may have to face to achieve the next orb. That last one almost did them all in...

Before long, she has drifted off into a light sleep. But the thoughts that have been weighing heavily on her mind press down on her dreams:

A frightfully dark day. A demolished castle. A rampaging, goat-headed warlock on the loose. And it's all her fault.

"I've done terrible things! All this time I tried so hard to prove that I was more than everyone thought, but they were right."

They were right. She can't stand the things she did. She can't stand the supposed reasons she did them. She can't stand herself! She doesn't deserve anyone's forgiveness.

They were right...

Or were they?

     Her mind takes her back to Terapi Island. The beach. Varian sitting in the sand next to her.