Chapter Thirty-Five: Return To Vardaros

"I don't like Abhu," Opal says. "But it's sad that his daddy never came home." She hugs Varian tightly, as if willing him to stay beside her forever.

     "Don't worry, Little Gem. I'm not going anywhere." Varian gives Opal a loving squeeze in return.

     Cassandra smiles as she watches the two of them, and patiently waits for Opal's attention to return to the story.

     "So what happened in Vardaros?" The little girl asks eagerly.

     "We began our search for the next orb," Cassandra replies. "My old friend helped us out, but... I wasn't as happy about it as I thought I would be..."

Vardaros.

It is not the most thrilling city. Definitely not one Cassandra ever dreamed of returning to. Even in all her years of traveling, she has never once considered dropping in. But here they are.

The city does look a great deal better than it did the last time she was here. It's cleaner, it's busier. People are enjoying life, rather than simply existing. It seems as if Rapunzel may have actually helped these people to change their tune. But there is still a dreary element to the atmosphere.

     After landing the balloon in the main hub of town, the gang climb out of the basket. It isn't long before a curious crowd has encircled them. Nervousness starts to churn in Cassandra's stomach as she wonders if any of these people have heard about the things she's done since she was last here...

     "Who are you?" A lady sneers.

     "We are weary travelers, descended upon your humble city in search of answers!" Hugo announces dramatically. "We—"

     Varian elbows his side. "You can stop that now. We're not performing a play."

     "We're looking for someone," Cassandra tells the residents

     "We're looking for someone," Cassandra tells the residents. "Where can we find the Sheriff?"

     "Cass!" A familiar voice says. A lanky young woman with black hair in a single, long side braid makes her way through the crowd.

 A lanky young woman with black hair in a single, long side braid makes her way through the crowd