Chapter Thirty-One: Rising Water

Cassandra grabs the largest rock she can carry, and rushes to the opening where water is gushing out. She shoves the rock against the stream, slowing it slightly, but the water is still pouring into the cave.

"Do something, geniuses!" She screams at Varian and Hugo.

     Varian quickly scans over the stone puzzle in front of him

Varian quickly scans over the stone puzzle in front of him. "You start at the top, and I'll continue from here at the bottom!" He tells Hugo.

Hugo nods, and the two of them get to work rotating the stones so that the painted lines match up. But it seems like with every turn of the stones, the opening of water widens.

Abhu follows Cassandra's example, and carries another rock over to the opening. "It's not working!" He says.

"But it's slowing the water down," Cassandra tells him. "We're buying them time!"

     "Are we, though?" Abhu remarks. "We're still gonna be underwater in no time!" He gestures to the rising water, that is already up to their knees.

Cassandra bites her lower lip nervously. "Hurry!" She shouts at Varian and Hugo.

The two alchemists continue to work the puzzle, until they finally meet in the middle. "There!" They say in unison.

But the water continues to rise. It is now up to their waists, and about to cover over the puzzle.

 It is now up to their waists, and about to cover over the puzzle

"I-I-I don't understand," Varian stammers. "Why didn't it work?"

"Are you sure you solved it correctly?" Cassandra asks.

"Of course we are!" Hugo replies.

"Well you obviously did something wrong!" Abhu yells. He and Cassandra have still been trying to slow down the flow of water, but the opening has become too large and the current is too strong. It pushes them back, and they slip into the ever-rising water.

"Cass!" Varian screams worriedly. He dashes through the water to where she disappeared, and dives under. He pulls her back up above the water, and a couple seconds later Abhu resurfaces with a gasp and a sputter.