Chapter Six: The Journey Begins

"Yay, road trip!" Opal says excitedly, believing the story may finally be taking a turn for the better.

     "Heh, sort of," Varian says. "The trip to the Dark Kingdom actually didn't take us that long... And it was more in the air than on the road."

     "But it was the first leg in what would be the craziest adventure any of us had been on," Cassandra adds. "An adventure that would've been a lot better if some people could get along." She glares pointedly at Varian.

     "What're you looking at me for?!" Varian asks. "I wasn't the only one who didn't get along with Abhu. You argued with him just as much!"

Cassandra rolls her eyes, then turns her attention back to her daughter. "Our journey may have gotten off to a rocky start..."

"...But we figured things out along the way," Varian adds. "We figured a lot of things out along the way..."

"Great! Now that we all know each other... let me get some sleep."

     Cassandra slams her bedroom door in both Varian and Abhu's faces. Varian glares at this new guy, who seems surprised, and wonders who exactly he is and why he is here.

And who does he think he is? Showing up out of nowhere and calling Cass "Cassie" like that?! That's Varian's thing!

"Okay then..." Abhu whispers. "I've never seen her be that rude before. I guess she's had a rough day."

Never seen her be that rude...? "Do you even know Cass?" Varian asks with obvious irritation in his voice.

"For your information, I've known her for four years!" Abhu replies.

"Well, I've known her for eight years!"

Abhu shakes his head. "You may have met her eight years ago, but how well do you know her now?"

Varian stares at the ground, the six years since he last saw Cassandra feeling like a giant void all of a sudden. "...She sent me letters."

"Oh, guess you're best buddies then," Abhu says sarcastically.

"Hey, you have no idea of the history we have!" Varian tells him, struggling to keep his voice low.

Finally, Abhu's expression falters. "Actually, you're right, there... I don't know much about her past at all."

     "You've known her four years, and you don't know about her past?" Varian wonders just how much of Cassandra's past Abhu doesn't know.

     "She doesn't really like to open up," Abhu says. "She's been a tough nut to crack."

     This is something Varian understands. He, himself, has a difficult time opening up to people... especially about his past.