Chapter Twenty-Five: Fights

"Those leaf people seem weird," Opal says, still listening to the story with enthusiasm.

"You have no idea, kiddo," Cassandra says. "When I met them before, they were just an annoyance. But this time, they actually seemed like a threat."

"More than just the Lorbs would turn out to be threatening, though," Varian says. "Someone within our own group became a bit hostile..."

"And your father, here, didn't help the situation," Cassandra says, rolling her eyes. "It was a pretty rough first night on the island for most of us..."

Spending more time on this island is not at all what Cassandra had in mind when they arrived here, but what else can she do? These Lorbs, while small, are fierce. And she knows from experience how crazy they can get.

     "Alright Alfons, we'll cooperate," Cassandra says reluctantly. "But under one condition: We get the shelter back."

     "What? No!" The Lorb from earlier steps forward. "That is my home! Where am I supposed to go?"

     "Deal," Alfons says to Cassandra. He turns to the other Lorb and adds, "It is only temporary. You will stay in the village for the month. We certainly don't want them staying in Lorbwalla." He jerks his tiny thumb in the gang's direction.

The Lorbs finally put away their weapons, and untie Hugo. "Toodaloo, freinfloofers!" Alfons says as the Lorbs begin to return to their village. "We hope not to see you again."

     "Wait!" Varian says.

     "Seriously?!" Abhu says. "Just let the leaf creatures go!"

     Varian ignores him. "Alfons, do you know anything about an orb somewhere on this island?"

     Alfons shakes his head. "If it has to do with magic, we don't want it!" Without another word, he disappears along with the rest of his people.

     "But... but it's not..." Varian sighs as the end of his sentence trails off.

     The sun begins to set as the gang head into the shelter. After choosing their rooms, everyone settles in for the night. Cassandra reaches into her bag to unpack, only to remember that most of her supplies have been taken. "Ugh... Fitzherbert better have made sure the rest of my things got back to Corona safely," she grumbles.

     "What are you complaining about now?"

     Cassandra turns around to see Abhu in the doorway, leaning against the frame with his arms folded.

     "You're one to talk," she replies. "You complain all the time."

     "I usually have reason to," Abhu says.

     "I'd say being stranded for a second time on an island is enough cause for complaint."

     Abhu ponders this for a moment. "True."