Chapter Eight: What's In the Bag

"What was in the bag that Hugo stole?" Opal asks. She is curious why it would be so important, that her mom would run after a thief to retrieve it.

     "You'll soon find out, Little Gem," Varian replies. "I was wondering the same thing at the time."

     "I knew what was in that bag, and what it meant to Abhu," Cassandra says. "But none of us knew just how important it would be to our journey..."

Once the alchemical solution Hugo used on Cassandra wears off, she and Varian head back to the hot air balloon. On the way, they come across Eugene and a short guy wearing a Sheriff's badge.

     "What're you guys doing?" Eugene asks. "Where's Hugo?"

     "He got away..." Cassandra replies, dejected. She can't believe she let the thief escape! She feels as if she is losing her edge.

     "I'll get my people on it," the Sheriff tells them. "I'm sure we can catch that rascal!" He turns around, and heads back to his town.

     "They'll never catch him," Eugene says with a slight chuckle.

     "He... he was..." Varian stammers, struggling to find his words. "You never told me you knew another alchemist before!"

     "Oh, yeah," Eugene says with a shrug. "Guess I did."

     Varian stares at him expectantly

     "What do you want me to say, Hair Stripe?" Eugene says. "I really didn't know him that well. We just partnered up once for a quick caper. And I do mean quick. That guy has some exceptional tricks, let me tell ya. I don't even know why he needed me!"

Varian retorts back at Eugene, but honestly Cassandra doesn't hear it. She walks away from their conversation to inspect the rest of their items in the balloon, mulling over everything that just happened. In the past, she never would have let a lowlife thug like Hugo get the drop on her so easily. But what did allow him to gain the upper hand?

His remark... What had he asked?

"Are you two...?"

Then what had he added?

"Oh, but someone wishes you were."

What had he meant by that? And why had Varian turned pink as Rapunzel's favorite cupcake frosting when she looked at him?

     "Something on your mind?" Abhu asks.

     Cassandra glances up at him briefly, but then turns her attention back to their luggage. "No, not really," she lies. "I'm just ready to get moving."

     "You and me both," he says. He steps closer to her, and places a hand on her shoulder. She tenses up, but he doesn't seem to notice. "Thank you for getting my dad's journal back."