Chapter Twenty: Onward to Pincosta

"Mommy, why were you so mean?" Opal asks, her large eyes glistening.

"I was frustrated, kiddo," Cassandra replies. "I was afraid to have feelings for anyone, so if there was the slightest chance that I might I shoved them down."

"So, were you already having feelings for Daddy?" Opal asks.

"Well... That's complicated," Cassandra says. "I didn't think I did, but what I was feeling did eventually turn into feelings for him."

"I... think I understand?" Opal says, unsure.

"Like I said, complicated," Cassandra says, stroking her daughter's cheek with the back of her hand.

"But in the meantime, I was completely crushed," Varian continues the story. "I had no idea that she only said the things she did out of fear, so I believed I no longer had any chance with her..."

The deafening silence that follows is almost too much for Varian to take. It could be minutes, it could be mere seconds. But it feels like hours to him.

     "Okay," Eugene finally speaks up, sucking air through his teeth. "Seems there's a lot more drama going on here than I realized. Hey, you guys have fun with that."

Varian reaches out to Cassandra. "Cass...?"

"Not right now Varian," she responds, backing away. "Just get that balloon fixed so Fitzherbert can go home..."

The rest of the evening, and on through the night, is busy yet uncomfortably quiet. Cassandra, Eugene, and Adira rest in their respective tents. Abhu perches on a rock, flipping through his father's journal. Hugo works on building rudimentary models of his Glider for the others to use. And Varian spends all night repairing the hot air balloon for Eugene and Adira.

 And Varian spends all night repairing the hot air balloon for Eugene and Adira

Varian doesn't mind working this long. He enjoys having something to do with his hands. And right now, he is especially thankful for a distraction. Otherwise he would drive himself insane mulling over everything that Cassandra said —or rather, shouted. Did she really mean it when she said she didn't want a relationship? Or did she mean she didn't want a relationship with either of them? With him? One thing is for sure... All his hopes of ever winning her over have been dashed to pieces.

Finally, as the sun rises, Eugene and Adira prepare to depart in the newly-repaired balloon. Varian, Cassandra, and Abhu take only a few of their necessary belongings with them in smaller bags, and leave the rest of their things in the balloon to retrieve later.

     Despite his protests, Adira lifts Eugene up with ease and sets him inside the basket. She then steps into it herself. The others surround them, saying their goodbyes.

"Psst, Varian!" Eugene whispers as the others converse, leaning against the edge of the basket for support. When Varian approaches, he asks, "Let me get this straight... You've actually got feelings for CassAndra?"