Chapter Twelve: Declaration

"I don't understand what the journal meant," Opal says, her eyes squinting in concentration.

     "Neither did I, at first," Cassandra says. "And that was just one page. I knew that, despite what Abhu wanted, I would need help from a certain someone to figure it out." She pointedly smirks at Varian.

     "And I am so glad that she asked me for help," Varian says, pulling Cass closer. "Though, at the time, I was afraid that the moment caused more harm than good to our relationship..."

Varian is sitting alone inside of his tent, fiddling with his Truth Ray. He knows he can get it to work! He just has to figure out exactly why it isn't working.

     "Alright Ruddiger, let's hope that helped," he says after tinkering with it for a couple hours. "I'll test it out tomorrow. Something tells me Abhu would make the perfect guinea pig..."

     But the raccoon doesn't respond. He is already sound asleep, curled up on Varian's pillow.

     Varian shakes his head, and decides it best to follow Ruddiger's example

     Varian shakes his head, and decides it best to follow Ruddiger's example. He is about to crawl into his sleeping bag, when he hears a whisper at the entrance of the tent: "Varian, you still awake?"

     His heartbeat quickens at the unmistakable sound of Cassandra's voice. He hops up, and pops out of the tent eagerly. "Yep, I'm awake. Everything okay?"

     "Shh," she continues to whisper, her finger on her lips. "I don't want Abhu to wake up."

"I don't blame you there," Varian whispers, his nose crinkling up at the mention of Abhu's name.

Cassandra raises an eyebrow. "What is with...? Nevermind, not the time. I need your help."

"Of course, anything," he says, again a little too eager. "With what?"

Cassandra grabs his wrist and pulls him along. "This stupid journal, that's what."

"But I thought Abhu doesn't want me to see it," Varian replies, too fixated on the touch of her hand to remember that he doesn't care what Abhu wants.