Chapter Seventeen: Reflection

"Wow, that was amazing Daddy!" Opal says enthusiastically. "You figured out how to get into the tunnel! And then you found the magical cavern, right?"

     "Heh, not quite Little Gem," Varian says.

     "Not even close," Cassandra adds. "We had no idea that the real adventure hadn't even started yet..."

Cassandra sits alone in her tent, hugging her knees. She is embarrassed about what happened, but even more embarrassed about how she reacted to... well, being embarrassed. Why did Varian have to say what he said?! Now things are just going to be awkward and uncomfortable between them. And she does not deal well with awkward and uncomfortable.

     But, she knows that she needs to quit acting like a child and figure out what the plan is

     But, she knows that she needs to quit acting like a child and figure out what the plan is. She heard the others conversing once she entered her tent, but she was too distracted by her own emotions to hear what was being said. She sucks in a deep breath, and then wills herself to stand up and exit the tent.

     "Ah, you finally decide to rejoin the party?" Eugene says.

     "Can it, Fitzherbert," Cass says. But she quickly shuts her mouth and glances around to make sure Abhu didn't hear her. Before her return to Corona she felt that she had grown considerably adept at keeping her attitude from slipping out. But now, it's as if she has to begin all over again.

     When she doesn't see Abhu, she involuntarily sighs with relief. But she realizes that, not only does she not see Abhu, but Varian, Ruddiger, and Owl seem to be gone as well. She only sees Eugene laying against his tree, and Adira sharpening her sword nearby.

     "Um... Dare I ask where Varian and Abhu took off to?" She asks Eugene.

     "Well after your little performance, they took off with Hugo to find something from the missing journal page," Eugene explains.

"Wait, Hugo? As in, the thief we chased down after the storm?!"

"That's the one," Eugene says, seemingly growing bored with this conversation.

"Why would they trust him?" Cassandra asks.

"Look Cass, I'm not gonna recount the entire event to you," Eugene says. "Let's just say you missed a lot, and leave it at that." He folds his arms behind his head and closes his eyes.

Cass sneers at him, and then gives his injured leg a swift kick.

"Ack!" Eugene exclaims, bolting forward to cradle his leg. "Seriously?!"

"Your leg needs to hurry up and heal," Cass says. "You were already irritating enough without it, now you're practically unbearable!"

"It would heal a lot quicker if you'd leave it alone!" Eugene shouts at her.