Chapter Forty-One: Make It Rain

"That was a weird thing to find," Opal says, referring to the stone tablet that Abhu dug up. "What did it mean?"

"We would figure it out soon enough," Varian replies. "But first, we had to get into that mine."

"Vex and I hung out by the entrance until your father and Hugo returned," Cassandra says. "Which, thankfully, they finally did..."

What is taking the guys so long? Cassandra figured they would need some time, but this much time? It feels like they've been gone forever! She is beginning to grow concerned.

Mostly for Varian. It would be just like Hugo to have double-crossed him again. Maybe she should try to track them down and—

Before she can complete her thought, she sees the hot air balloon approaching in the sky. Relief washes over her, especially once she catches sight of Varian's familiar figure standing in the basket, seeming none the worse for wear.

Ruddiger notices too, and chitters excitedly. He rushes towards the balloon as it sets down, jumping into Varian's arms. "I'm glad to be back, buddy," Varian says, holding his raccoon up affectionately.

     The desire to embrace Varian re-emerges within Cassandra, especially when she sees how his face lights up at laying eyes on her

The desire to embrace Varian re-emerges within Cassandra, especially when she sees how his face lights up at laying eyes on her. She had hoped that admitting to herself she had fallen for him would somehow calm her when she is around him. Before, she was shoving all her emotions down and her actions where causing things to be awkward between them which, in turn, was stressing her out. But now, acknowledging and accepting these feelings has only caused the desires she was trying to ignore to grow in strength. Holding back how she feels about him is going to be a lot more difficult from here on out...

     Before Cassandra can come to a decision on how to react to Varian's return, Vex steps forward. "Welcome back, boys," she says to them.

     Cassandra is mildly disappointed that she didn't act quicker, but now she notices that Abhu is with Varian and Hugo. How did that happen?!

"Did you do it?" Cassandra asks the alchemists. "Did you invent a way to make it rain?"

"Did we ever!" Hugo says eagerly, holding up a metal capsule. "This will solve everything!"

     "I mean, technically we haven't tested it out yet—" Varian starts to say.

     "Ah, ah, ah," Hugo scolds. "What did I say, Freckles? Have a little faith in our work!"

"Haven't tested it?" Cassandra repeats. She recalls Varian's inventions in the past, and how they tend to... well, go boom. She knows it's been years, but his track record doesn't seem to have changed much. She hopes the added variant of Hugo's input might change the outcome.

     "How is that thing supposed to make it rain?" Vex asks, sounding unconvinced.

     "I'm glad you asked," Varian says, always thrilled to explain things scientifically. "Within this capsule is a mixture of gases. These gases, when shot into the sky, are rigged to be released once the capsule is high enough. Theoretically, the gases will crystallize into ice, stimulating the growth of cloud water droplets. Thus, resulting in rain!"