Chapter 50: The Limit

An explosion rocked through the Imperial capital with so much power that the city trembled slightly. The city came at a standstill as reality began to dawn within the hearts of the people within the protective walls of the city. They had been attacked once more. They knew there were battles occurring outside the walls, but they'd felt secure because nothing had penetrated the walls so far. Their shinobi were fighting with all their might to protect them.

Things changed with the explosion.

They started to panic. Even if the Emperor was present in the capital, within his royal palace, the Special Corps HQ had been blown into smoke. Nothing had been left of it. That was much more damage, even though it was just a building that had been destroyed. The special Corps was the elite force in the country. There was no better group than it and its HQ had been destroyed.

If there was any time to panic, it was now. If there was a good time to be afraid, it was now. Perhaps the Emperor was no longer untouchable as he used to be. If he was untouchable, something like this wouldn't happen would it? Not long ago, he had been badly injured.

The Emperor was not a demon, he was not a god as they'd come to think. He was just a human with more power. Eventually, now he has met his match and the city was panicking.

Inside his royal palace, Naruto felt the explosion. It meant failure. It meant Heisuke and Shinji had failed. Perhaps they didn't have enough time to disable the explosions or maybe the one responsible for the explosions set them off when he saw that they were being disabled. It was a possibility; nevertheless, it mattered little now.

His city was in panic mode. Such a reality never seemed possible for his city. He'd always thought the people would always take comfort in his power and be calm at all times, like he was. He was wrong. They were panicking. Thinking he was just a normal person who could be defeated. Humans.

He couldn't fault them though. What their eyes were seeing led them to believe so. He wasn't worried. He may have had the belief that his subordinates would succeed, even though they'd failed, it didn't change too many things.

Despite the fact that his city was overridden with fear, Naruto could still smile. Things were just going awry. He hadn't expected to be so far off.

Naruto's Sharingan lit up in the room as he felt a presence within the throne room. With the darkness within, the Sharingan seemed to lit up in a menacing manner. But that didn't scare the intruder.

''Emperor,'' Nagato started, his Rinnegan glowing with as much power as the Emperor's left eye. ''Why are you sitting here while the city is at disarray, and with battles being fought outside the walls?''

''What do you wish of me to doing at this time, Nagato?''

''Fighting with your people. You shouldn't be sitting here watching the battles like it is some sort of a show. This is not the right behaviour for an Emperor,'' Nagato stated firmly.

''Why don't you go and that for me, Nagato? Perhaps I may put you as Emperor in the next couple of years...'' Naruto offered lightly.

''It is not my place to do so,'' Nagato said. He raised his right hand, palm open. ''You're not worthy of being Emperor. This world should have seen the face of peace years ago. But you have been doing nothing. You have preferred to just watch. I'm afraid I can no longer tolerate that.''

''Nagato, this isn't th...'' Naruto trailed off when that damn swirl occurred beside the former leader of the Akatsuki. ''Obito.''

''Naruto...'' Obito acknowledge before placing his right hand on Nagato's shoulder.

''Shinra Tensei!''

Boom!

The roof of the palace was blasted off by the Shinra Tensei. The thing was noted by almost everyone. This did nothing to soothe the citizens fears. Even the Emperor's palace was no exempt to the destruction.