CHAPTER TEN

The week passed, Abby staying home mostly, going to school every day. It was like the events of homecoming had made her see the light. They didn't know she'd been to see Jace a few times, used every time. They saw the bright-eyed Abby she pretended to be out of love for her brother. She wasn't on drugs, and she wasn't with Jace, so her father was happy. She was going to school and home for dinner, mostly, so her mother was happy. And Aaron had long since forgiven her noting that he'd been so lucky thus far to have his number one fan. Abby had been playing the bass, her father had stopped by to listen when her phone rang. Abby glanced over and saw that it was Jace. Abby ignored it; her father was actually being civil. He saw that it was Jace and answered it before Abby could stop him.

"Jace," he said joyfully. "How are you?" Abby couldn't hear the other end of the call. "It's Jason, Abby's dad." Her father kept a smile plastered on her face. She couldn't make eye contact. She wanted this to be over as soon as possible. Her stomach was in knots. "Just call me Jason." He paused, listening to whatever Jace was saying. "Yeah, she's right here. But I wanted to ask you something. Are you free on Saturday?" Abby's face shot up to meet his. He grinned. She looked terrified. She shook her head no. "Yeah. Aaron, my brother, Abby's cousin and I were going to the shooting range." Then her father laughed. A good jolly belly laugh. Jason put his hand to the phone to block his voice. He grinned the fakest and cheesiest grin she'd ever seen. "He doesn't think he and I should be near each other if I'm holding a gun. He's hilarious." He removed his hand to talk to Jace again. "Be here by nine am." He finshed, and he handed the phone off to Abby.

...

Jace arrived a few minutes before nine and was greeted by Jason. Jace hadn't seen Aaron since he'd hit him. He wanted to clear the air. For Abby. After he greeted her and kissed her good morning, he went to find Aaron.

"Hey." He said, standing in the doorway of Aaron's room while Aaron looked for a shirt. Aaron looked over at the sound of his voice. Aaron knew Jace loved Abby, even if they both had different ways of showing it. It was a weird feeling, to be sharing his sister.

"Hey." Aaron said, letting out a deep breath. He tried to hide his confusion and defeat from his tone. But Jace heard something.

"I'm sorry. About homecoming." Aaron nodded, looking away.

"Yeah, me too. I've never been filled with rage like that, and it wasn't fair to you or Abby." He stood idly, playing with the shirt in his hands. It wasn't the one he wanted.

"I'd do the same thing if I thought Abby was being hurt. And I know that's what you think of me... that I'm hurting her." Aaron nodded. He was right. "So... are we alright? At least cordial now? Or do I have to worry about you accidentally shooting me at the range?" It could have been serious. It could have been a joke. He let Aaron decide. He laughed.

"I'm not gonna shoot you." Aaron said with a smile. Jace relaxed. "Now my dad on the other hand..." Jace laughed nervously, hoping it wasn't even a remote possibility.

"You boys ready?" Jason asked, walking up to them.

"Yeah." Aaron said, pulling a shirt over his head. He looked at Jace.

"Never gonna be ready for this." Jace said. Jason grinned. He patted Jace on the shoulder.

"At least we're on the same page about something." He said. Their first stop was to pick up Jason's brother, Adam, and his son, Pat. Abby's uncle and cousin. They high fived Aaron, laughed about a few inside jokes, and nodded toward Jace when Aaron introduced them. They weren't cold, but they weren't inviting. Adam, in particular, seemed to almost glare at him behind the nod and wave. After some small talk, Adam finally acknowledged Jace.