CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

She walked in the front door like she lived there. Technically, she did. But she was never home and walking back in after time away always seemed... different. Like it was less and less her home every time. She made sure to be showered and sober today. They'd partied last night, like they did every night. But ever since the second she'd woken up that morning, all she could think of was her parents laying on the couch watching TV together. She knew Aaron was at a tournament, and likely they would both be there too. She put her bag in her room and started laundry. She put together some leftovers since she and Jace never ate anything worth mentioning, if they ate at all. She knew she'd lost weight from the drugs. Her clothes hung off of her. She was glad for the time alone, to settle back in. After she'd eaten and switched over her laundry, she curled up on the couch and put the TV on. She rarely slept at Jace's. She'd black out plenty, but she never woke feeling refreshed. She awoke to the sound of her father talking on the phone.

"That's a tough loss. I'm sorry I wasn't there to see it." She heard him walking around the house while he talked. "One more game to go?" He asked. "Okay. So, home in a few hours then." Abby had gotten up off the couch and followed his voice to the kitchen. He was dressed in a suit. His work clothes. It was Saturday. A Saturday that Aaron had a sporting event. Her father shouldn't be home right now. He turned while he listened and froze when he saw Abby standing there. "Yeah, I'm still here. Sorry. I'll see you when you get home. Kick some ass." And then he hung up the phone. He stared at her. She stared back.

"Why aren't you at Aaron's tournament?" She asked. Someone had to speak. He looked away, getting himself a drink from the refrigerator.

"I had to work." His instincts were gearing up for a fight. He tried to stop it.

"On a Saturday?" He nodded.

"Yup." His voice held resentment. It always did when he talked to her.

"Why?" She asked.

"To make extra money." He said blankly.

"For what?" She asked, still not quite understanding. He fiddled with his glass, debating whether to say it or not. Her mother wouldn't tell her, but Jason thought she babied her too much.

"To finish paying for rehab." He answered. His words hung in the air. He didn't look at her. He couldn't. She had such a sweet and innocent face. He knew her obliviousness would break his heart. He dumped what he didn't drink and pulled off his tie as he went up to his room to change. She felt like the air had been sucked from the room. Her father was missing Aaron's games to work extra hours to pay for her rehab. The rehab that she had disregarded as a waste of time. She had stayed sober for a mere ten days after coming home. She followed him upstairs.

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" She scoffed.

"Would you even have cared?" He asked.

"Of course. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer because I went to rehab." He looked at her, more like he glared at her. Was she kidding?

"You don't want anyone to suffer? That's all we do, Abby! Suffer because we do everything to help you, and you don't care about anyone but yourself! We don't even care about the money! The emotional price we've paid, and continue to pay, is far worse in our minds!" She stood in his doorway, mouth agape, at a loss for words. She knew he was right. "Abby, I'm glad you're home. Your mom will be thrilled. But please leave me alone right now." He said calmly. He sat on the edge of his bed, staring out the window. She wanted to say something, do something. But she knew her dad. And nothing would matter right now. She went back downstairs to wait for Aaron.

...

"Hey, superstar." Abby said when Aaron came home. He dropped his gear and grinned. He wrapped her in a hug.