CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

December twenty-seventh. That's when she decided to come home. Aaron wasn't home. He was at hockey practice. Her father was at work. She quietly walked in, aware that her mother was there somewhere, but wanting to shower and sleep before she saw her. She walked by the living room and stopped short. She stepped back and peeked in. The presents were still under the tree. They hadn't opened them. And the pit in her stomach grew. And it sat like a lead ball. It was probably her cold useless heart.

"Why are you here, Abby?" Her mother had heard her come in. Abby knew why she had come home, but she could see how her mother wouldn't understand. And Abby suddenly felt like she wasn't welcome there anymore.

"Why didn't you guys open presents?" She asked.

"Come on, Abby. You're a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them." Jennie had thought a lot about what she wanted to say to Abby when she finally came home. She always did. And now that she was home, she didn't have the heart to say much. She was just glad to have her home. "How long are you home for?" The question hit Abby in the gut. And of course, feeling these emotions made Abby want to get high. "So, here's how this is going to work. I know that you're a badass and you're going to do whatever you please. However, if you ever treat your brother like that again, you'll be dead to me. You will no longer be a part of this family, and you will not be welcome in this home." Jennie had never been so blunt. So harsh. So cold. Abby broke out in goosebumps. Maybe she'd pushed too hard, gone too far this time. "And you're going to make this up to him. You're going to start by taking a shower and washing the ten-day old weed smell off of you. It's disgusting. And then get clean clothes from your drawers. You're going to brush your teeth until the alcohol doesn't linger on your breath. And you're going to get that cocaine high out of your eyes. And then you'll go sit in for the rest of his hockey practice like you used to." Jennie wanted to add one hundred more digs. But she held it in. Aaron needed to see her, and if Jennie pushed too hard, Abby would run again. Jennie turned away and walked into the kitchen. Moments later, she heard the shower. And down came Abby from the end of the summer. Fresh faced, jeans and a 90's rock band t-shirt. Incubus. Abby saw the plate on the table and wondered if it was for her. She hoped it was for her. Good alcohol, good drugs, but they never had good food. Her mother always made something amazing. It was Christmas day baked mac and cheese. Cheesy pasta covered in turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. Warm carbs for days. Comfort food. Her mother was making a gesture. She was showing her love while being tough. Abby reached for the glass of water first. She wanted to ask for her favorite drink... she didn't know if there were any... because she was never here. It was like she wasn't even a part of the family anymore. She went to stand up, and her mother placed one of the V8 coconut water drinks in front of her. Electrolytes. Her mother met her eyes. It was a challenge for Abby. That she be the daughter that deserved a mother like her.

"Thank you." Abby whispered tentatively.

"You're welcome." Abby dove into the plate. Jennie got some satisfaction out of watching her eat like she hadn't eaten in weeks. "You still need your mother for something, huh?" She asked. Half to break the ice, and half in jest. She couldn't not talk to Abby knowing these moments were rare. "That's a nice bracelet. It really fits you." Jennie observed. "Christmas present from Jace?" Abby slowed her eating. She didn't know if this was a trap or not. "It's a thoughtful gift regardless." Jennie noted. Abby went back to eating. "Your hair is so long now." Jennie noted.

"I know." Abby said lifting up the ends and looking at them, finally breaking her silence in the string of comments made by her mother who was desperate for conversation with her daughter. "I need a haircut."

"We could go tomorrow." Jennie offered. Abby looked up at her.

"You'd want to do that?" She asked.