CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

She was free. She didn't consider rehab lock up. Though essentially, she was still going to be locked up. She wasn't sure what she was expected to feel walking out that door. But what she did feel was a greater nirvana than any drug she'd ever known. She smiled and breathed in the late summer breeze. And then she was practically knocked over by her brother's bear hug.

"Woowoo!" He cheered as he lifted her up in a hug and swung her around. Their mother ran up to her and pried her from his arms.

"My turn!" She said, wrapping Abby in the warmest and tightest hug they'd ever shared. "You promised me ten hours!" She reminded her. Abby squeezed her back.

"I didn't forget." She breathed in her mother's shampoo. There were no tears and few words. Today was for joy. The feeling alone didn't need theatrics.

"I think dad needs a hug, just to know that we have you back." Her mother whispered, letting go. Abby looked at her dad who hung back. She smiled because she couldn't help it. He offered a tentative smile. So much was still broken. But damn it was good to see her out of there. To see her free. And happy. Her smile, however jaded she'd become, was a smile from the old Abby. He hadn't seen her in a year, easy. She walked up to him, and he wrapped her in a hug.

"I love you, daddy." She whispered.

"I love you, Abby." He kissed her forehead.

"So, we have two surprises for you." Aaron said, sliding in step with her. His childlike excitement overjoyed her. When they got to the car, he said "Close your eyes." She did so with a curious grin. She heard him go into the car. "Open." He ordered. She laughed and grabbed from his hand a wake up and grind smoothie. It was her favorite treat in the whole world. She took a long sip, enjoying the cool sensation in the heat. Enjoying the flavors she'd forgotten existed. Chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla... "Go easy, girl." He joked. She opened her eyes and grinned at the half empty smoothie cup.

"I don't think anything can top this." She declared.

"We have to get going." Jennie quietly reminded them. They all got into the car. They had to be at rehab by three. They had just enough time.

"So," Aaron began, buckling his seat belt. "We didn't tell you about the next surprise before, because we didn't want you to be anxious or upset in there." He finished nodding to the place they'd left behind. She hadn't even looked back. "It's a good surprise, trust me. I'm over the moon about it." She could tell he was trying to amp her up for this surprise. He wanted her to be as excited about it as he was. That alone made her nervous.

"Well, what is it?" She asked.

"We moved." Her smile faltered a little bit, mostly because she was confused.

"You moved? When?" She asked. Her tone suggested she wasn't completely on board.

"Six weeks ago." Aaron said. "We would have waited, but football starts mid-July, and I play for our new high school now."

"Six weeks, and I had no idea." She said, thinking on that for a moment.

"It's a nice small town, but our new high school is a district school, so we go to school with three other towns." She still wasn't on board with this. "Do you wa-" She cut him off.

"Where is it?" Jennie and Jason pretended they weren't there. Aaron had wanted to do this alone. Break the news. Help her be okay with it, excited even.

"Atkinson." He said responded. She looked confused, and everyone knew she was assuming that was in Connecticut.

"I don't know where that is." She admitted.

"Pennsylvania." He announced. Her eyes went wide.

"You moved four hours away, to a different state, and you didn't even tell me?!" She interrogated.

"Three and some change." He answered. "And yes. We didn't want you to be upset in there." He repeated. She sat back against the seat and looked out the window.

"So, you have a new house, new friends, a new school..." She uttered, still in shock.

"We have a new house and a new school. And I just know the football team because we have two a day practices. That's all I do. Eat, sleep, football. You know that." It was obvious they had left because of her. She was angry, but she knew she didn't have any right to be. And she didn't want to spend the only hour she had with them angry. She didn't know what to say, so she said nothing. He wanted to tell her about the neighbor. But he didn't. They'd all agreed not to.

"Does anyone know you have a sister?" She asked quietly.

"No." He replied. She breathed through the meaning behind it. Slow and steady, she tried to block out the pain and focus on something else. But there was nothing else really. "I didn't want to have to explain where you were without asking what you wanted me to say. And I couldn't. Not until now." She didn't answer. She closed her eyes and leaned her head against the door. She could never sleep in lock up. She was out within twenty seconds. Jennie and Jason exchanged glances. Jason looked at Aaron in the rearview mirror, Jennie turned in her seat.

"It's okay, Aaron. It's a big day for her. A lot at once. You know you did the right thing." He didn't look at them. Jennie noticed he'd taken Abby's hand in his and that she let him, even held his hand back. Everything would be okay, Jennie knew it. It had been less than twenty minutes. They shouldn't have sprung it on her so quickly. But Aaron was excited to show her what he and his father had done in the new house for her. And he was sick of deceiving her.

...

"I don't want to leave you." Aaron said. She knew exactly how he felt. They hugged one more time.

"I know." She agreed. "But it's just thirty more days. And visiting hours aren't so restrictive. You can call me every night after school and tell me how it went." He rolled his eyes.

"It's school, Abby." He muttered. She shrugged.

"I'll need to know the ins and outs for when I start." She announced, smiling for him. Not for herself, because saying good-bye was killing her.

"Okay." He agreed. "I love you, Abby."

"I love you, too." She watched their mother practically drag him away. She wouldn't cry. This was the light at the end of the tunnel.

...

"So don't be mad at me." Her mother began. It was one of their last visits in rehab before Abby would go home. The air was light, the energy contagious.

"Uh oh." Abby remarked with a nervous laugh.

"I found you a dance studio." Abby's eyes went wide. She felt the prickle of nerves and excitement. "You can start the week after you come home." Abby smiled. She missed dancing so much. She'd actually started tapping out combinations in her room before lights out. "I spoke with the creative director of the studio, and she knew your name from past competitions." Abby's face fell. She knew her name. So, she knew her past. "Abby." Her mother began with compassion. "She's okay with you dancing for her." Her mother took her hand. "Please be excited." Abby nodded.

"I am." Abby said. "I've actually been thinking about dance. Sometimes in my room I mark choreography and footwork. I just can't erase what's connected to my name, and It's... depressing. Like I'll never be able to leave it behind."

"That is the reality." Her father said. "But this creative director, Kerry you said her name was?" Her mother nodded. "She knows, and she's still giving you a shot. That's big." Abby smiled tentatively, not wanting a sour mood when home was so close. Her dad usually left the encouragement up to her mother and Aaron.

"It'll be great." Jennie assured her. Abby nodded and expressed her gratitude.

"You're right. It will. Thank you for finding her."

"I can't believe this is almost it." Aaron said. None of them could. Everyone was excited, but it carried trepidation. The staff made an announcement, signaling the end of visiting hours. Everyone hugged Abby, soaking up the feeling of elation.