CHAPTER FOURTEEN

One look at Jennie's face, and Jason knew it was Abby.

"She didn't come home today. And she's not answering her phone." He guessed.

"She didn't even make it to school." Jennie added. It had been less than a week.

...

Abby stood at his doorstep, the look of depression bordering on hysterical defeat. It was the new classic Abby. He hadn't seen her eyes twinkle or her smile light up a room since before rehab. So much for being clean making her happy. People thought they knew everything. They knew shit. But he knew she wasn't supposed to be there even if it was clear that it was what she needed. She stepped inside, and he wrapped her in a hug.

"I miss your smile." He whispered.

"Me too." She agreed.

"Tell me what to do, how to help you." He pleaded.

"Kiss me." She whispered. "Make me laugh."

...

"Just one more high." She said, giggling in his arms. They'd spent the day hanging out, and then they'd had some friends over for a party.

"You're done, Abby. Just have fun, ride out the night." Her smile vanished. She tensed in his arms. He kept a straight face, but inside, he wilted. And braced for the clapback. She pushed out of his arms and walked away from him, back to the party. He watched her from across the room, making sure she didn't go off with anyone for more drugs. Once the crowd thinned out, she slipped off to Jace's room. He finished up his conversation and followed. He walked in as she was undressing, taking her shirt off. He saw her hair fall down her back, nothing but a black lace bra on. He noticed the way her jeans sank on her hips, just barely staying up. He had to fix what they'd killed. She looked over her shoulder at him. He came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. He kissed her neck. She sighed into him. "You look like you had fun tonight." He whispered.

"I did. It was nice to laugh and relax. No pressure." She made no effort to move. She was where she needed to be. He wanted to have sex with her right then, but he knew she needed to take control of her life again, and that was what was on her mind. One small slip up, one night. That was it, she needed to get back on track.

...

They lay together, enjoying the lasting effects of having sex non-stop all weekend. Making up for lost time, they said.

"I still need to go to school." She told him, knowing she'd have to get up in the morning. Monday funday. "I think I'm going to try and pass what I can. Like English and History. And maybe do summer school for math and science. If I take a full work-load next year, and maybe a night class or two, I think I can still graduate on time." He squeezed her hand.

"I'll support whatever you want. Whatever you need." He said. She rolled to her side and looked into his eyes. She smiled.

"What are you smiling about?" He asked, noting the twinkle in her eye.

"How much I love you. How perfect you are." He laughed.

"I'll take the love, but I don't know about perfect." She kissed his cheek, her hand resting on his other cheek.

"I do." She whispered. And they fell asleep intertwined as one.

...

Several days later, Abby was called down to the office.

"I appreciate that you're showing up to school." Principal Stone began. "But I hear that you're not going home. Ever." She shrugged. All they did was push. She had told them it was too much pressure, but they didn't listen.

"I make appearances." She wasn't sure why this was any of his business.

"How are classes going?" He asked.

"I'm sure you already know." She countered. He shrugged this time.

"Perhaps." She didn't offer anything. "So English, you seem to be making up quite a bit of work. Same with History." She nodded.

"I spend ninety percent of my spare time reading." She confirmed.

"That's good." He said. "What about math and science?"

"I'll never make up all of that work. So, I picked two classes where I thought I could actually pass for the year. And then I will take summer school to make up math and science. Next year I'll take a full workload to make up for the other few credits I'll miss this year." Principal Stone was shocked that she had a plan. She smirked. "You thought I was a fucking idiot, didn't you?" He didn't like her use of the word fucking, but she was almost correct. Her plan blew him away. It was reasonable and well thought out. "Maybe we should invite me in on the little meetings you have with my parents, the group texts. Might get some insight." She was too confident, borderline smug.

"It's not that I thought you were stupid. I thought you just didn't give a shit." He said, his banter amping up. She looked away. It was almost true.

"I appreciate your honesty." She said genuinely, the teenage attitude gone.

"And I appreciate yours." He said calmly. "How was rehab?" He asked.

"Once I got past the detox it wasn't so bad." He stared at her long and hard.

"You don't seem sold on the experience." He stated.

"I just don't feel better. I just felt sad, lazy and... hopeless." The guilt of having used since then stirred inside of her.

"Changes are difficult." He told her. She'd heard it before.

"Can I go now? I appreciate the time you take to be helpful, but I just don't want to talk." She admitted. He nodded.

"Yeah. Go ahead." She stood up to leave. "Abby?" He called out. She turned back to look at him. "Don't give up. Change takes time. Stick it out." She nodded and then left. Principal Stone thought long and hard about what to tell her parents. It was bit unorthodox, but after several emails concerned about Abby's whereabouts, he'd given them his personal cell phone number. He promised to let them know when she was and wasn't in school. It took a village. And in some cases, a miracle.