CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE

The nerves were setting in. The anxiety was catching up with her. She'd been so excited all day, finally tasting freedom, spending it with her family, exploring their new home. She sat in her room deciding what to do to make it hers. She opened her dresser drawers and ruffled the nicely folded shirts. She took a few out, looking for a specific one, and tossed them on the floor. She heard her mother try to stifle a giggle from the doorway.

"Making the room yours?" She asked.

"It's too perfect." Abby declared. "I don't know what I want to do, yet, but I can't stand looking at the perfection."

"Are you nervous for school?" Jennie asked.

"Definitely." She admitted. "But I used to feel shame when I'd go to school, because everyone had known the old me... at least with a fresh start, I'm just the new girl, not the used-to-be-fun-and-talented-and-now-just-fucked-up-on-drugs girl." Jennie didn't say much. Abby stood up, looking at the pictures. "Who chose these?" She asked.

"We all picked a couple." Jennie replied. "Are they okay?" Abby nodded, her attention drawn to the creased and worn picture, and then she smiled back at her, because her mother was trying almost more than she was.

"Yeah." She said, genuinely. "I just can't wait to get some new ones up." Jennie walked next to her and hugged her from the side while they both looked at the pictures.

"I know you're probably sick of hearing this by now, but we're so incredibly proud of you." Abby hugged her back.

"I'll never be sick of hearing that." She whispered. "I just hope that I never give you a reason to stop saying it."

"It's different this time, I can tell." Jennie assured her. Abby felt a twinge of guilt. She'd had so many other chances to turn things around. She'd let her family be hopeful, and then fuck up again. "Don't even think about the other times." Her mother whispered. "Just focus on each day as it comes, okay?" Abby smiled and nodded. "Now get into bed. You have to be up for school tomorrow." Abby did as she was told, being comforted by her mother's grin. "Sorry," her mother said. "I can't help it. It feels so good to tell you to go to bed because you have to be up for school." Abby saw the tears glisten in her mother's eyes. Abby hugged her again.

"I love you, mom." Jennie didn't reply, she knew she'd cry. "Thank you for always giving me another chance." Jennie cried silently into her daughter's shoulder. "I don't deserve you." Abby finished. Jennie pulled back and kissed Abby's forehead. She took Abby's face in her hands.

"You deserve the world, same as anyone else." Abby smiled, her tears falling along with her mother's. They shared one more hug before Jennie tucked her daughter in for the first time in what felt like a lifetime.

THE END