CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

Meeting around the table for 5:30 pm had just about become a pagan ritual. No one missed it. Not for anything. And they'd make dinner together and try to eat. Try to stay healthy and strong.

"Can I talk to mom for a minute? Just mom?" Abby asked. Everyone heard it in her voice, the importance of the privacy, the urgency. They exchanged nervous glances. Jennie picked the phone up and took it off speakerphone.

"Just let me go to another room, sweetheart." Jennie said in the gentle tone of a mother. Aaron forced himself to count to five slowly. Then he casually got up to follow.

"Don't even think about it." Jason ordered. "Sit back down." He pointed to the chair. Once Jennie made it into the other room, she spoke.

"What is it?"

"How's Aaron?" Abby asked, pain in her voice. "Like honestly, how is he, really?" She begged to know. Jennie closed her eyes leaning her head against the wall she stood at. She didn't want to worry Abby, who had enough on her plate as it was, but maybe Abby could help. "That bad?" Abby guessed, her voice sounding farther away that it already was.

"Not good, that's for sure." Jennie admitted, but not offering more.

"Mom. Please, just tell me everything. Maybe I can help." Her voice quivered.

"He won't go out. Anywhere. And he's gaining weight for football, but he hasn't been to the gym since lacrosse ended. Your dad tried to get him there at least. His friends call, and they stop by, but... and when it's anywhere near 5:30, he sits at the kitchen table and stares at the phone until you call." Jennie sat in the silence with Abby.

"He's been so strong for so long." Abby whispered. It was as if she was now the mother and ready to take care of him. But how from lock-up? "I'll fix this. I will. Maybe next time you guys come and visit, I get some alone time with him?" She asked.

"Whatever you think is best, sweetheart." Abby smiled despite her heavy heart. Her mother was trusting her again.

...

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Aaron asked at their next visit.

"How are you? Now that mom and dad are gone?" She pressed, her eyes narrow, her lips pursed.

"My god you look just like mom." He observed. She didn't let him side-track her intent. "I'm fine." He answered, obviously lying.

"If I'm going to be honest from now on, you better be also." He looked away.

"Everything's fine. I wanted to relax for the summer, and mom's up my ass about the gym and football." She decided to be less mom and more bratty sister.

"Well, I can tell you haven't been hitting the gym." She said smartly, eyeing him. He jerked back to her gaze.

"I still have a six pack." He snapped. She sat back and raised her eyebrows, crossing her arms. He stared her down, knowing she knew when he was lying. "Since when do you care about who hits the gym and how often?" He grilled.

"Since super jock stopped going." She was quick with the comeback. He didn't say anything. She softened her body language and sat up, wishing there could be physical contact. "Aaron, I need you to be okay." She said softly, looking him square in the eye until he met hers. "I'm not going to be able to get through this unless I know you're okay." She pleaded. He looked away. "Go out, have fun, be seventeen." She instructed with tenderness.

"It doesn't feel right." He admitted. "With you in here." She smiled.

"I'm better in here than I ever was out there this past year." He knew she was right. "Promise you'll live your life. You'll keep up with football, go to the movies with your friends, maybe meet a girl..." She winked, and he rolled his eyes, but grinned.

"You know they can't handle me." He boasted. She choked on her laugh.

"Then maybe you should date a real girl. Like a musician instead of those one-dimensional jocks." He couldn't control his laughter, it rolled out of him, attracting an audience. "For real." She said, drawing his attention back. "I can't be okay in here if you're not okay out there." He knew she was right. It'd be the same way for him.

"Okay." He conceded. "I'll do my best."