CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Jace held her hand as they walked to the party. She was happy to be there, excited even. But she was nervous, not knowing what the day might bring. Jace was mesmerized by her beauty. She held the air of an old soul hippie instead of a rocker chic. Her coal-colored hair was braided, her mother's insistence. But wisps fell out here and there, giving her a relaxed and youthful look. Her sundress was white, and it fell to mid-thigh. And while it offered no cleavage, the back was open, except for the two thin straps that crisscrossed and laid over her shoulders. The dress was fitted down to the waist, and the skirt was full enough to play in the wind. He couldn't take his eyes off her, even if he tried.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" She asked, her tone soft and playful. He hadn't heard her this relaxed since rehab.

"You're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life. I can't take my eyes off you." She blushed under his adoration. "I've missed this... hanging out with you." She had too.

...

"I wish I had someone that looked at me the way they look at each other." Jace's mother was sitting with the other female adults at the party. Food had been eaten, a few games had been played, cake and ice cream had come and gone with the presents. Now they watched Jace and Abby standing at the rail on the edge of the backyard overlooking the river. The way the sun shone on them, the way she was dressed, the way they were always touching but never inappropriately, the way they looked like they were one, they were something from another world. She didn't say anything as another one of the adults commented.

"Didn't she just get out of rehab?" No one spoke, letting Jace's mother offer whether there was truth to the rumor or not.

"Yes." She confirmed.

"How's he doing?" The same adult asked.

"He misses her. Her parents wouldn't allow him to visit or talk to her in rehab. And while he's occasionally allowed over their house, it's not the most comfortable place to be. She hasn't been out much since. It seems like that's her decision, but I know she had to get permission to be here today." They watched as Jace put his arm around her waist, they stood side by side overlooking the river, and kissed her cheek. She turned toward him, and they hugged. A solid and close embrace. One of love and trust. They held it for what seemed like eternity.

"They are the cutest couple I've ever seen. I hope everything works out for them." Someone offered.

"Me too." His mother replied. "I don't think he can live without her."

...

"They're staring at us." He whispered with a grin.

"They're jealous that I have you." She teased.

"Ew. Gross." He mocked. "It's my mom and my family." She giggled.

"You're such an ass. You knew what I meant. Their men don't hold a candle to you." He soaked up the intensity in her eyes. He put his hand to her cheek and brushed it with his thumb.

"Abby Demarco..." He whispered. "I can't stand spending another moment away from you. I want to wake up every morning with you by my side and go to sleep every night with you in my arms." It was a fantasy of hers as well.

"Is this a marriage proposal?" She joked. He grinned.

"We'd never need a formality like that." He whispered, never taking his eyes off hers. And she did love him. Enough to marry him even though they were too young. Enough to be by his side forever. But a voice in the back of her head, probably her dad's, told her that there's wasn't any way she could stay sober and be by his side forever, unless he was too.