CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Christmas was approaching, and it gave Abby an anxiety she couldn't ignore. That she couldn't shake. She tried to go to school every day, Christmas break being the light on the horizon, but she found herself in Jace's bed more nights than not. And it was impossible to get to school from there.

"What are you doing for Christmas?" Jace asked as they lay in the dark, Abby sprawled across his chest, Jace playing with her hair.

"Christmas eve at my aunt's house. Christmas morning at my house. Christmas dinner at my uncle's."

"Busy day..." He commented.

"What about you?" She asked.

"Christmas dinner at my mom's. Probably Christmas Eve at my brother's."

"I'd rather stay with you. Then I won't have to deal with the snarky remarks, glares and basic invisibility around the rest of my family." Her voice held a wistful nature.

"I'd love to have you here for Christmas, but I know you'll regret staying." He pointed out.

"I love your family. No one gives me shit." Jace smiled, though she couldn't see it in the dark.

"They do adore you. But they worry too, and they secretly give me plenty of shit."

"For what?" She asked. He didn't want to tell her; he didn't want her to be upset.

"Because you've been to rehab, but I still use and party and now you are too." He felt her body tense. Anger? Shame?

"That has nothing to do with you." She defended.

"But you're my world. I should look out for you, protect you." She was certain he was thinking of when she was drugged.

"You just have to love me and make me laugh, that's it." She put her head up on his chest to look at him. He saw her face in the moonlight, the sweetest smile he'd ever seen played on her lips. He touched them lightly with his index finger. She bit it gently to be playful. He grinned and pulled her up on top of him.

...

Her mother went over the Christmas plans with her for the hundredth time. Her mind was elsewhere. She nodded at the appropriate times, put a bit of food in her mouth every few nods. Fake it to make it. She chewed, and the taste caught her off guard. She looked at her plate. She didn't even know what she was eating. She needed a fix, bad.

"Abby." Abby looked up. "Promise me you'll be there." Her mother pleaded.

"Yes, of course." She replied.

"And where will you be?" Jennie asked. Pop quiz. Abby was barely awake.

"Aunt Amy's. Christmas Eve." Abby answered. Jennie smiled.

"At what time?" Her mother continued to quiz.

"Seven." She repeated.

"Six thirty here, to ride with us." Jennie corrected, afraid if it was up to Abby alone, she'd never make it there.

"Yes, sorry. Six thirty here. Christmas Eve." Conversation wandered. Abby made a mental note to bring their gifts home from Jace's to put under the tree.

"What do you think about playing Christmas Day at Uncle Adam's?" Her father prodded. She thought about what she might play. Everyone would want to hear the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. Her wrist hurt thinking about it. And then she thought of dance. She let out a choke of a cry. She was in another world, but then realized where she was and stopped the tears. Her parents exchanged glances.

"Are you okay, sweetie?" Her mother asked. "If your wrist hurts, don't feel pressure to play." Abby shook her head and cleared her throat.

"No, it's not my wrist. That's fine." She replied.

"Then what is it?" She asked. Where the hell was Aaron when she needed a bailout? She shrugged.

"Reminded me of tap. The Nutcracker number we perform at the nursing home every year." No one said anything.

"What'd you get Aaron for Christmas?" Her mother asked, changing the subject. She smiled. Aaron was always safe.

"It's the most hilarious gift ever. I can't even tell you. You have to wait until Christmas Day." Jennie smiled. Abby was actively planning to be there Christmas Day. She breathed a little easier.