2

TW: Bullying/physical abuse 

~Armin's POV~

"Class dismissed." - Mr. Pixis says after a long sigh. He's rather annoyed at a few people chatting at the back of the classroom and being a little too loud. Or, at the fact that he has to work instead of sit around drinking all day. I put my book down and get up. I collect all my annotating supplies I have laid out and put them inside my bag. I swing it over my shoulder and look over at my friends. They're ready to go and are waiting for me to finish packing. I always try to pack up as quickly as I can so they don't have to wait for me but they always end up waiting. I always read during homeroom or free periods. I let Eren and Mikasa talk and focus on a book instead of bothering them. It's the least I can do for the amount of times they've had to save me. 

Eren and Mikasa are the best people I've ever met aside from my grandfather. Eren and I have known each other since we were around 8. Mikasa came along a year later. She had to stay with Eren and his family after going through a traumatic event. Her parents were killed in an ambush. It was a miracle she survived it. Dr. Yeager was supposed to check on Mrs. Ackerman and Mikasa's unborn baby brother but it was too late. The Yeager family were the only ones Mikasa could stay with. But Eren's never minded it. He doesn't mind sharing anything with her. But he does get a little annoyed when she overdoes things. Mikasa tries to help out a lot. She takes both our bags off our backs and carries them out of the classroom. Eren and I follow. I'm concerned about her back and often worry that she's gonna get back problems but she doesn't care. 

Mikasa is the bravest person I know. Despite everything she's been through, she still smiles at us. She's like an older sister to me, even though she's slightly younger. She never hesitates to run to my defense whenever Floch and his gang try to pick on me. She's quite strong, actually. Some people fear her. Most people envy her, though. Including myself. I wish I was as strong and brave as Mikasa. Maybe then I wouldn't be struggling with socializing at the age of 18. Maybe then people would stop picking on me. 

I owe Eren and Mikasa a lot. They're always there when I need help. Eren's the first one running towards me but Mikasa is right behind him. She lets Eren think that he was the reason the bullies run away, even though it's not true. I've been bullied ever since elementary school. Long story, short, it was a bad time. But that's how Eren and I met. I was the quiet, nerdy guy with the weird glasses that everyone liked to pick on. I always have been. Eren was that one guy who always got into fights. He saw me being picked on one day and helped me out. I have always admired the amount of bravery Eren has. His mom always said it would lead him to getting really hurt. She was right, of course - at least when Mikasa wasn't around - but he never listened. We became friends and here we are now. We haven't really changed. I still have no idea how to defend myself, although once in a while I say something without even thinking twice about it. No one expects it. Not even me. 

Sometimes they say things that really hurts. Like the fact my parents thought a party was more important than me. Or how I should've gone with them and died along with them. They remind me that my grandfather wont be around for much longer. But I know they're lower then me. They've been raised poorly and don't wanna be the only ones hurting. I understand. They lack the brain cells and empathy to understand how much this hurts, though. They took my book once and ripped it to shreds. It was my favorite one as well. I had saved up for it for weeks. My grandfather bought me a new one afterwards but I don't dare to walk around carrying a book anymore. 

"What's your next class?" Eren asks. 

"Math." I answer. I have a photographic memory so I have my timetable memorized. "What's yours?" 

"English." He rolls his eyes. He finds English boring. He also struggles to write essays so I help him out. 

Mikasa takes my schoolbag off her shoulder and hands it to me. - "Good luck."