17

~Annie's POV~

So much has happened in less than a day. I need a break from life. First, Armin comes over and sees me in the worst state I've ever been in - or so I thought. Then, we almost kiss, he somehow convinces me to go to Jean's party, I agree to dance with him, Pieck shows up, Armin tells me his heartbreaking story and confesses, I kiss him, find out my cat's dead, meet him at Midnight in the park, we actually kiss this time and now we're here, lying in bed while I'm trying not to break down again. My head rests on his chest in the dim light. The way we're lying next to each other resembles that scene between Katniss and Peeta. The scene Armin loves so much. 

In the quiet of the night, the severity of the situation finally sinks in. Taylor's dead. My cat, my best friend, my lifesaver is now nothing but a corps on the side of the road. My lifeline has been cut and now I'm left floating, sinking, drowning in a puddle of my own grief. 

"Have you been taking care of your arms?" 

Hesitantly, I nod. Another lie. I need to stop lying to him. It's for his own good, I remind myself.

"Let me see." Armin reaches for my arm. I hand it to him and he trails over it. My skin tickles by his touch. He draws stars around my scars. "Promise me you will." He whispers. 

I whisper an "I promise" to him. He seems to buy it. At least that's what I take his silence as. 

It's quiet until Armin speaks up again. "Annie?" This time he's more serious. He hasn't dropped the topic. 

"Hm?" I mutter, trying to keep my eyes open. My head is spinning. I can't fall asleep now. I wont be able to handle another nightmare. This is the third time I've woken tonight. I've also woken Armin up and I feel bad about it. He's been nothing but supportive and I'm out here ruining his mental health even more. 

"How did you actually meet Taylor?" His question sends ripping waves of chills through my spine. 

"I told you. On the bridge while I was walking home from school." 

"But there isn't a bridge on your usual way from school." 

"I took the long way to avoid going home." I say. It's not entirely a lie. But my intentions are. 

"You said something about her saving you. On a bridge..? It doesn't sit right with me. Tell me the truth, Annie. What were you actually gonna do that day?" 

My mouth hangs open for a couple of seconds. He sees right through me. I see right through me. 

"Nothing." I breathe out. 

Armin sits up, taking me with him. He looks at me. "I don't appreciate you lying to me, Annie." He says. 

"I don't wanna talk about it." I look away. 

Armin pulls me in for another hug. He's silent for a couple of more seconds, his breathing shaky in my ear. I can feel his whole body trembling. "Don't ever try something like that again. What would've happened if Taylor didn't stop you?" 

I simply shrug. "My father was gonna realize what he did." I sink my teeth into my lower lip to keep myself from crying. "We wouldn't have met and I wouldn't have caused you any issues." Now I look up at him. 

"You've never caused me a single issue, Annie." 

We lye down again. I don't feel like saying anything else. I just want some silence. But even the silence is too loud. My mind races through the past couple of events. It makes my headache more intense. 

"Why don't you run away?" Armin is the first to break the silence again. He always is. 

"I can't. I have nowhere to go."