21

~Armin's POV~

'Just close your eyes, the sun is going down.
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now.
Come morning light, 

you and I'll be 
Safe and Sound."

The Saturday sun peers through the window of my room. The walls are blue, like the sea and the sunflowers on my desk are fresh from our garden. They're moms favorite flower. The blazing rays of the run gently trail over my skin. My eyes open to meet a pair of very blue, very bright and very loving eyes. 

"You did well, Armin." She whispers. She has a smile on her face. The very smile I haven't seen in what seems like 10 years but really, it was only yesterday. Probably. "I'm proud of you." I can feel her hand run through my hair. How I love when she does that. That very gesture creeps a smile onto my face as well. But what did I do, really? It's not like I saved the world or anything. All I did is make a valid point to Floch. I told him to stop treating Annie like she's an object to be tossed around. 

"Did what in well, exactly?" I ask. My hand is placed on my head as if it hurts. But it doesn't. I can't feel any type of pain. My voice sounds a lot younger. A lot more innocent and pure. 

"You stood up to Floch, silly." A laugh comes out of the woman in front of me. A proud one, I hope. Her wavy blond hair looks just as it used to. And then I realize, it really has been 10 years since I've seen her smile.  My eyebrows raise, my eyes pop up. She laughs again. "What? You look like you've just seen a ghost." 

I reach out for her hand and she takes it. She places it back down on the mattress. "You..." 

She places a kiss on my forehead. "I have to go now." She gets up. She's walking towards the door in her spring dress and her usual apron. "I've missed you." 

"Wait, mom!" I yell. 

I've missed you too.

"Oh, you're awake!" The blond girl rushes over to me as soon as she notices my eyes have opened. She looks sweet enough and offers me a glass of water. I take it with gratitude. My throat is so dry. "The nurse will be right back. She asked me to stay with you." She explains. "How do you feel?" 

"Tired." I place my head back on the pillow. I must've passed out in the bathroom. How I got here remains a mystery. My mind is too fuzzy to figure it out. 

"You suffered a concussion and passed out. Eren found you and brought you here." She explains. "You stood up to Floch, by the way. That was brave of you." 

"I was just defending Annie." I answer, more to the ceiling than to Louise. "Aren't you supposed to be with him?" 

She shakes her head. "No. I don't like the way he treats people. I only stayed because I thought he'd see me the way I saw him." When she speaks, she's got her back turned to me as if she's embarrassed. 

I want to ask about Annie. Does she know about the whole ordeal? Is she still in class? How much time has passed? 

"Sorry." Louise breathes out. Her shoulders fall. "I shouldn't have let him treat you like that. Or anyone else. Anyway, he's been expelled. Turns out everyone else he bullied decided to stand against him today." 

"An-" I start but decide to ask about my best friend instead, hoping that Annie doesn't know about any of this. "Eren, where is he?" I ask. My throat is still dry so I try to limit my words. 

"He and Mikasa were ordered to go back to class since they have an exam." Louise shrugs. "Annie's in the principals office, by the way." She glances over at me like she knew I was gonna ask that.