14

TW: Loss of parents/death

~Annie's POV~

The life of the party is not for me. It's crowded, loud and reeks of alcohol. My worst enemy. But I see it through anyways. It's New Year's eve and what better way to end the year then by going out of my comfort zone, right? Wrong. But for Hitch, I don't complain. All the lights reflecting off the disco ball are blinding yet I find myself staring up at the mirrorball that hangs from the ceiling and spins. I lost Armin in the crowd somewhere. I think he went to go talk to his friends. Hitch is drinking and flirting with Marlowe and I'm left standing off to the side by myself. But I like it that way. It gives me the chance to observe everyone. Apparently this party was originally going to be hosted yesterday - Friday - but New Year's fell on a Saturday and plans were changed. I feel so out of place here around all these lively people. They're all so extroverted and confident. At least confident enough to dance and scream. And I'm just standing there like I'm caged in a giant ice crystal of all my thoughts. Alone. 

"Enjoying the party?" A drunken voice asks. He's reeking of alcohol. 

"No." I reply with full honesty. The guy is drunk so he'll forget about it anyways. 

"Awh bummer. I worked hard to set everything up." 

I roll my eyes. "Get to the point." I cross my arms. I identify the guy as Jean Kirstein. 

"Have you seen Marco anywhere? He said he's be at the food table with Sasha but he's not there." 

"I think I saw him hanging around Reiner and Bertholdt earlier." 

"Shit." The brunette swears. "Do you know where they are?" 

"Knowing Reiner, he's probably dragging them along with the popular ones."

"Right, got it." Jean smiles. I swear, he actually does look like a horse. 

"Oh, and Jean?" The words come out of my mouth quicker than I had anticipated. He's about to walk away but stops. I don't know how to ask so I just say it. "Play a Taylor Swift song." It sounds more like an order than a request but it makes him grin. 

He raises an eyebrow. "I didn't know you listened to Taylor Swift. You don't seem like the type." 

I freeze. This isn't good. I can't come off as softer than I am. It's a disadvantage. "It's Hitch's request." That's a lie, of course. 

"Got it!" He gives a thumbs up. I doubt he actually believes me but he proceeds anyways. "No stolen version." I'm surprised he knows the difference. Before I get the chance to say anything else, he walks away in search of his boyfriend. Now I have the company of no one but myself and the twirling mirrorball. 

I'm wearing the outfit Hitch got me. A white blouse and a pair of black, baggy jeans. To top it all off, a maroon cardigan hugs my shoulders. I don't mind it. In fact, I actually quite like it. It's not too fancy but not too casual either. It's comfortable enough. 

The party is tasteful but a little loud. I watch everyone dance around, drink, do drugs, flirt and eventually walk off somewhere. I don't wanna know where. The dance floor is somewhat cleared up when he approaches me. His bright eyes are the only thing that doesn't blind me. He's wearing a vest and a white shirt underneath. But he's also wearing a smile on his face. 

"Hey." He smiles down at me. He's only slightly taller. "Jean said he's playing "Lover" for all the couples. Care for a dance?" He leans in to whisper in my ear over the party music. I give Armin a look that can only mean "We aren't a couple" and he awkwardly laughs. "I know that. But I don't wanna make the most out of the Taylor Swift song. And... I want to dance with someone by the end of the year. So will you be that someone?" He's only asking me because he has no one else to ask.