4

~Annie's POV~ 

The misty morning sprawls throughout the city, covering the ground in a blanket of muddy snow. It's the first snow we've gotten in years but it's damp and muddy. Far too crusty to be able to play in. Not that I would, anyways. For the past couple of years, we'd only had brittle winters with nothing but grey skies and wet pavements. This year, though, the snowflakes fall gently. I watch as they freely dance around in the air. If they had minds, I'd say they have nothing to worry about besides making a graceful landing. They're peaceful to look at despite the chaos going on in my mind. Because of them, I completely tune out Nanaba's English lesson. She's giving another lesson about William Shakespeare again. I spend the majority of the lesson staring out the window, watching the snow white it glistens as it falls. Until Nanaba claps her hands to gain the attention of Hannah and Franz, who are whispering forms of sweet nothing to each other in the back of the classroom. 

"By now, all of you know who William Shakespeare is," she starts. "-and if you don't, you wont be getting a passing grade. But every time has it's own Shakespeare. And I'd like to hear who you think the Shakespeare of our time is. So, your task is to write a 10 page essay on the Shakespeare of our time. Write about their autobiography, their work and where they are now." 

The classroom erupts in complaints and sighs. No one likes projects. Except the Armin guy but I'd prefer not to think about him right now. I myself am quite annoyed that I'd have to write a 10 page essay on something I don't care about. Unless... 

"But, you won't be doing it alone. All 24 of you will be assigned with a partner. There will be 12 pairs of two. Each pair consists of a boy and a girl, carefully drawn from a bowl." - She walks towards her desk and takes out two bowls full of paper. Our names are written on those papers. What does she think this is? The Hunger Games? 

As Ms. "Effie Trinket" draws everyone's name from the piles of paper, I regret ever complaining. I'd much rather write this on my own than have to interact with someone else. What makes it worse is that I have English with the Armin guy. Someone who I don't wanna talk to again after that awkward lunch from yesterday. It's not like he was the problem. I just don't feel like making new connections. And it would only make things more awkward. I helped him, he paid me back, we're even. We have no more reasons to talk to each other. 

As the teacher draws out all the teams, I rest my head on the desk and pray that I get paired with anyone who's lazy or stupid enough to let me work alone. 

Nanaba draws out another paper and calls out. "Armin Arlert!" 

Armin is intently watching, anticipating his project partner. "And... Annie Leonhart." Nanaba says. My heart sinks. I've never wanted the Earth to swallow me more then now. Armin looks over at me. There's a pleasant, happy smile on his face. His hand shimmers when he waves at me. I look away, pretending I didn't see him. He puts his hand down and focuses on what Nanaba is saying. She draws out the remaining teams and starts listing the criteria we have to follow for the essay. After she's done, she let's us get into pairs and plan out our projects. 

The chair next to me slides away from the desk and I look up. 

"May I sit?" Armin's cheerful face hovers above me. 

"Fine." I heave a sigh. Maybe if I sound annoyed enough, he'll leave me alone. "Sit." 

He sits down next to me and pulls the chair closer to the desk. He's dressed in a button-up white, collared shirt, a light blue cardigan and a pair of baggy jeans. At least he isn't the kind of guy who wears skinny jeans. He rests his elbows on the desk and connects his hands together, forming a triangle. He rests his head on his connected hands. "Whose house are we meeting up at to work on the project?"