18

~Armin's POV~

"Grandpa, I'm going on a date!" I stride into the house, away from the snow. My grandfather is sitting at his usual spot by the kitchen window. He looks away from the book he's reading, lowers his glasses and raises his eyebrows in surprise. He lets out a chuckle and puts the book down. The knowing look in his eyes leads me to believe he saw this coming. "I knew you two weren't just project partners." He does a movement with his fingers to insure I understand that "project partners" was in quotation marks. 

My face is all red and warm now. "Grandpa!" 

"What are you planning to wear?" He asks. He reminds me of a teenage girl when her best friend told her she's going on a date. 

"I haven't though about that." 

"Where are you taking her?" 

"I was thinking of a picnic on the beach. It's hopefully gonna snow there. Would you be able to drive us?" The beach is a little far away. As much as it would be awkward to be driven to the date destination by my grandfather, I don't wanna make Annie walk all the way out of town for a little picnic. It would take longer to get there than it would take to have a picnic. I'm old enough to drive but it's terrified me since the incident with my parents. 

"Are you sure Annie would be alright with that? I can call you a cab if you want to."

"I'll text her and ask." I reassure him. I got the clear from Annie that she's alright but a little busy. Apparently her dad fell asleep. I'm a lot less worried about her now. 

"Wait..." My grandpa starts. "You weren't home the entire night. Were you..." 

I laugh, nervously. Oh Swift. Not even Taylor can help me now. "I went to Eren's after the party. Then Annie asked me to go on a walk. We ended up back at her house. She just didn't wanna be alone. Something... happened." I don't know if Annie wants an old man she barely knows to know about her dead cat and let alone her family issues. 

My grandpa gives me a suspicious look. He smiles. Would now be a good time to come out as asexual? "Just... Be careful, Armin." He sighs. 

"Grandpa, it's not what it sounds like!" I laugh, nervously. My hands instinctively appear in front of me in defense. 

"I'm sure it isn't." He readjusts his glasses and turns to his book again. There's a very sheepish smile on his face. 

My face is probably a brighter red than Taylor's album by now. "Grandpa!" 

He chuckles, again. "Go get that picnic ready, Armin." He coughs into his hand. 

I nod and walk over to the counter. "Do we have any of those Chai sugar cookies left?"

"I don't think so." My grandpa answers. "Check the cookie jar." 

I nod and open the cookie jar. "Only two left..." I check the time. "I think I have enough time to make a new batch. We're leaving at 7." 

My grandfather gets up. He reaches into his pocket and hands me some money. "Go get whatever you need for that picnic." He smirks. "Get yourself something nice to wear. I'll make the Taylor cookies." 

The proudest I've ever been of my grandfather is probably right now, when he successfully identified the cookies as the ones Taylor likes to make every autumn. I'm sure Annie would recognize them as well, which is why I'd like to offer her some. 

"Y-You don't have to. It's alright." 

The old man pats my back. "My only grandson is going on his first date. Of course I do."