9

~Annie's POV~ 

I take a deep breath as I walk through the door. It's the morning of my very first day back to school. I say hi to Hitch, who I haven't spoken to since yesterday afternoon when she came over to check on me. The entire weekend, I lied and told her I was sick. Now, I have to play along and say I've recovered. Obviously, there was no one to call in sick for me so I got written up. But there's nothing I can do about that now. It's December 12th and tomorrow is the day of the project presentation. But, it's also Taylor Swift's birthday so I can't exactly dread it. What I can dread, though, is seeing Armin after school. Why did I even agree to meeting him?

"There's only two weeks until Christmas break!" Hitch says, excited. She's all giddy over the holidays. Some would say it's childish but it makes her happy. Every year, Hitch and her parents go on a 4 day trip for Christmas and come back on the 31st so they can spend New Years at home. Hitch says it's their way of making up for barely spending any time with her throughout the rest of the year. She claims these trips to be fun and exciting. Her parents don't know her as much as they should but she says she likes spending time with them. 

"Barely even two." I shrug. 

"Barely even two weeks until I leave you alone for 4 days. Are you sure you don't wanna come with us? My parents will be fine with it." She offers this every year and every year I decline. 

I shake my head. "You ask me this every year. No. You know I can't afford it." 

Hitch laughs and I side-eye her from my seat in the classroom. "Oh come on, my parents have all the money they can ask for! They won't have a problem paying!" 

"I can't, Hitch. I don't wanna go into debt with your parents." 

"Oh come on, it's really nothing."

I shake my head, again. "I can't leave Taylor alone. You know that." 

"Ms. Braun can babysit her!" 

"No, Hitch. I'm sorry. It's the only time of year where your parents pay attention to you. Go have fun." 

Hitch takes my hand and slightly brushes over my nails with her finger. "But promise me you'll do something fun! Go hang out with Armin and his friends!" The displeased look on my face makes Hitch sigh. "You can't just spend Christmas with your cat again."

I don't respond. I place my arms on my desk and rest my chin on them. Now I'm starting at the back of someone's shirt. 

"I'll make you a deal." Hitch says which gains my attention. "You spend Christmas however you want but you come to Jean's party of New Year's." I raise my head to protest but Hitch shakes her head in disapproval. "You have no other choice. I'll personally drag you to the party." 

"Fine." I roll my eyes. I'm not much of a party person. Too much noise, drunk people and hookups. But I can't remember the last time Hitch missed out on a party. And she sure isn't gonna miss this one. Especially not when Marlowe - her crush - is there and she has the perfect chance to talk to him. My only option now is to either go or hope she forgets she was supposed to bring me. 

Hitch lets out an excited squeal that makes the entire class turn toward us and stare. This is awkward. I eye Hitch and nudge her arm with my elbow. She rubs her arm and mutters out an apology to the class. Everyone gets distracted by the sudden slam of the door. I swear the entire wall shakes. The class is silent. In walks Levi - or should I say Mr. Ackerman - our French teacher with quite an attitude. His temper is as short as he is and he finds amusement in cleaning. It makes me wonder why he chose to be a French teacher instead of a janitor but I guess teaching a bunch of high-schoolers pays more than cleaning.